Friday, January 21, 2011

feed me friday: pumpkin crunchiness

I'm in the use-everything-in your-cupboard stage of preparing to move.  The last time I moved I was single.  It is much easier to use everything in your cupboard and just force yourself to eat things like green bean, garbanzo bean, black olive salad (which actually isn't half bad when drizzled with a little olive oil, lemon juice and salt) when you are single.  When you have two children and a husband who aren't as easily appeased, it's much more difficult.

Right now I have enough things stored away in the cupboard to make a few appealing things . . . for a few days.  But by Monday or Tuesday we will be eating barley, stewed tomatoes and baked french fries for dinner . . . I may have a mutiny on my hands

I bought the ingredients for today's recipe for Christmas dinner, but I ended up with so many other sweets I decided not to make it.  So my trusty assistant and I drug out the ingredients on our day at home together to make this delicious recipe:

Pumpkin Crunchiness


Here's what you need:
~1 egg and 3 egg whites (This is my lame attempt at keeping it healthy . . . you can use 3 whole eggs.)
~3/4 c. of sugar
~1 c. of skim milk
~1 large can of pumpkin
~1 package of yellow cake mix
~1 stick of melted margarine
~1 tsp. of cinnamon
~1/8 tsp. of ginger
~1/8 tsp. of cloves 
~1/4 tsp. of salt
~1/2 cup of chopped pecans
~a trusty assistant in her best Christmas Eve dress


Here's what you do:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.

2) Beat eggs lightly with a fork.  Then add sugar, milk and pumpkin and mix again.

3) Throw in cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt and stir together.

4) Pour mixture into 9 x 13 pan.

5) Spread cake mix out over pumpkin mixture.

6) Drizzle melted butter over the top of cake mix.

7) Bake for 40 minutes.

8) Pull out and sprinkle pecans on top.  Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes.

9) Drop on some whipped cream and enjoy sans shirt . . . well, you might want to keep your shirt on!


Cook on!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Yum! Sounds great...we'll have to make it for snack next week!

Anonymous said...

sounds yummy...

Unknown said...

Yum yum yum! I love the crispy texture of apple crisp but I can't stand cooked fruit, so this sounds like a fantastic treat to me! Pumpkin isn't a fruit... right?

Jocelyn Christensen said...

People like you are the reason why I cannot stick to my diet!! :)

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

Oh this looks really good!! I love pumpkin - in fact I just remembered I have a can left over from Christmas too!! yay!
And how cute is your assistant!! :)

Stephanie said...

They look yummy! I have everything except the cake mix! I even have a trusty assistant, lol!! =) She is adorable!

Related Posts with Thumbnails