Saturday, May 1, 2010

a farwell to felt food

Well, it's not a complete farewell . . . it's more of a "see you in a couple of weeks".  But the end of April brought with it the end of my ninth craft till Christmas - all foods felt.  However, I do plan to keep dabbling in felt food creation because I didn't quite get as far as I was hoping.  Here's a sampling of what I managed to eek out in 30 days . . .

I was hoping to make some Sun Chips, veggies, pizza and the fixings.  I think my downfall was the bread.  I spent a ridiculous amount of time on that silly bread, and therefore, I didn't have much time for anything else.  My favorite thing to make was definitely the strawberries - soooo cute and incredibly easy. 

Used an object to trace circles and cut them out.

Fold circle in half and cut 2 half circles.

Fold half circles in half and sew along open edge.

Flip inside out so that you have a cone shape.

Use embroidery thread to sew a running stitch around the opening of the cone leaving tails at the beginning and end to use for pulling shut later.  I found that embroidery thread was sturdier and more secure than regular thread.

Stuff with fabric/felt scraps or stuffing.

Pull on tail ends of embroidery thread to draw opening shut.  Tie securely.

Cut out two pointy oval shapes (ahhh . . . I'm so good at using technical terms).  I used two different shades of green.

Overlap two pointy green oval and tack on top of strawberry covering opening.

With brown embroidery thread run small stitches all over the strawberry to resemble seeds.  Hide beginning and ending knots of brown thread under leaves.

Love these!

I assumed this technique would work to make carrots.  I was wrong!  Unless, of course there is some sort of variety of short chubby carrot out there that I am not aware of.  The only difference between my carrot technique and the strawberry technique was the size of the circle I started with.  Here's the result:

Back to the drawing board.  I will be using a narrower longer triangle shape I think rather than a half circle, and I will . . .

craft on!

FYI - I will be posting about my eighth craft till Christmas in the next day or two.  True to form, I'm running behind again this month!

4 comments:

Cate Brickell said...

Those strawberries look awesome! Can't wait to see what you're crafting this month!

Michelle said...

So cute! I've seen similar goodies on Etsy and thought, hmmm I wonder if I could make them. Can't wait to try, thanks so much for the tutorial!

Unknown said...

This is adorable! I have been wanting to try felt food for so long--this may just be the push I need!

Misty @Creative Itch said...

Cute strawberries!! Thanks for linking!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails