Sunday, September 12, 2010

the desert island award

Last week I received a super fun and quirky award from the originator, Lu, over at Just Lu . . .  the Desert Island Award. 

Desert Island Blog Award

You are alone, stranded on a desert island... with everything you need to survive, such as a fully-stocked pantry, whatever crafting/hobby supplies or other products you want, and an unlimited supply of your favorite beverage. Life is comfortable...

Except that, in the freak cargo-drop accident (because how else would you end up stranded on a desert island, unhurt but alone with all you need to survive?), your laptop was damaged, limiting your internet access to only five blog subscriptions.

Which five blogs do you follow?

Here is the Code of the Desert Island Blog Award
•Once you have received the award (congratulations!), wear the Desert Island Blog button proudly (found at Just Lu). The button links back to this page so everyone can learn about the award and see the other recipients (in the linky below).

•Select five blogs to become Desert Island Blogs, while thinking of a nice acceptance speech.

•In an awards ceremony post (like this inaugural one), deliver your acceptance speech (if you want) and officially pass the award along to your chosen 5 blogs. Be sure to stop by each of the blogs you award and let them know!

•Go here and link to your award ceremony post in the linky below. This allows everyone to see one comprehensive list of the blogs that are desert-island approved.


One of the five blogs that Lu chose to follow on her island was twelve crafts till Christmas.  How cool is that?

Now, it's my turn to choose the five blogs I would read if stranded on an island with only limited internet access. 

Seriously . . . and you are going to think I am joking, but sadly I'm not . . . I haven't been able to sleep at night because I've been thinking about this.  Well, the not being able to sleep part might have something to do with the seroids I've been on due to this silly lung/respitory thing I can't lick . . . but still, I've been up into the wee hours of the morning thinking about which blogs I'm going to read on my very own island.  (I've also been thinking about what blogs I would read on a dessert island . . . wouldn't it be great to be stuck on a dessert island?  What desserts would your dessert island be made out of?  Yep, the steroids are definitely messing with my mind.)  


This is almost impossible for me to do because . . . 
1) I actually read all the blogs I follow.  I may not get to every blog every day, but I have a system, and I do check in with every blog on my follow list.  And I appreciate every word written, every thought shared, every idea posted . . . in light of this, how can I choose just five?

2) I'm pretty sure if I did this tomorrow, I would probably choose five completely different blogs because I keep changing my mind.

3) I'm oddly logical, practical and deliberate about my decisions . . . even if the decisions I make are for a completely made-up, even impossible scenario.  So if I'm going to do this, I can't just pick willy-nilly from my fav blogs.  I have to think about what I most need access too if stranded on an island. 


So after much . . . too much . . . thoughtful deliberation, I have chosen five blogs that I chose to have access to while stranded on an island.

Mommy of a Monster - First and foremost, if I'm stranded on an island, I need a good laugh, and I'm going to need a good laugh on a very regular basis.  Natalie over at Mommy of a Monster is full of laughs . . . not the I'm-laughing-at-you kind of laughs, but the I'm-laughing-with-you-because-I-can-so-identify kind of laughs.  Even though I don't have twins and a toddler like Natalie does, I think her blog speaks to all moms.  I'm not going to be stranded without some laughter!

Beat Until Fluffy - Lu's rules state that I'm stranded with a perfectly stocked pantry.  If I'm stranded on an island with a perfectly stocked pantry and A LOT of time on my hands, I'm going to need some cooking/baking inspiration.  Just the pics of food on this blog are full of all the inspiration I'm going to need to feed my sweet tooth.  Sometimes I stop by Beat Until Fluffy just to look at the pics and imagine what the food tastes like . . . this is an island must.

My Delicious Ambiguity - I know that the rules state that I'm alone on the island, but I don't even get to go to the bathroom alone . . . there's always at least one kid along sitting on the step stool chatting away.  So I'm pretty much assuming that even if I found myself stranded on an island, there would be at least one kid along . . . but probably two . . . that would need to be educated and entertained.  This blog is full of great kid-friendly, developmentally appropriate activities for kids.  I'm definitely going to need access to this blog to keep the stranded kiddos from getting wrestless.

The road less traveled - The thing that would be the most difficult about being stranded on an island is that I will miss out on the details of my friends' lives.  I have quite a few friends who are dealing with some major issues right now - cancer, death, adoption, infertility, etc.  I need a way to stay in touch . . . even if it's just with one of them.  This blog will keep me posted on at least one friend's life, so that I will not feel completely out of the loop on the events in her life.

The Flying Chalupa - As my kids are busy playing in the sand doing one of the many activites I've taken of My Delicious Ambiguity, I'm going to be using my "free" time on the island honing my creative writing skills.  I've always wanted to do that, but just haven't had the time.  What better thing to do stranded with limited internet connection than improve my creative writing skills?  That's what this blog is for . . . the posts are sometimes hilarious, sometimes thoughtful, sometimes deep in sarcasim but always creative and authentic. 

 
 
Thanks again, Lu!  I'm humbly honored to know that if you ever suffer a horrific plane crash experience and are left stranded on an island with limited internet connectivity, you will be reading twelve crafts! 
 
Craft on!

3 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Great blogs! I don't know what I'd choose! So hard, but yours of course! :)

Unknown said...

Haha, great choices! Thanks for playing along. :) Choosing 5 blogs kept me up at night too! Sorry to be the cause of some lost sleep... but now I'll be dreaming of a dessert island! I'm thinking cheesecake...

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

What a fun award. :) Those look like great blogs - some of which I hadn't heard of before. I'll be checking them out! Thanks for the new inspiration!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails