Sunday, September 26, 2010

pretend and play changing pad

I feel like this project is getting a little bit hugely out of hand.  However, I'm starting on a few custom orders and also hoping to put a few pieces of this set into my super lame Etsy store, so I'm in deep . . . maybe too deep with the pretend and play mommy set.  

Here's a little recap of what we've covered so far in the pretend and play set.






Now, on to the pretend and play changing pad.  Thankfully, this particular changing pad doesn't actually need to be water resistant, so you probably already have the supplies on hand.

Here's what you need:
-contrasting fabric
-fusible fleece or quilt batting or fusible interfacing
-ribbon

Here's what you do . . . so easy:
1)  Measure the doll or dolls who will most likely be using the changing pad.  Cut your fabric and fusible fleece or batting to these measurements adding about two inches.

2)  I wanted to add a few details to my plain fabric on this particular changing pad.  I only had a few scraps left of the pattern/color that I used for the bassinet and diaper bag, so I used fusible interfacing to secure the scraps and also used the sewing machine to add a little stitch detail.  With the other changing pad I used quilt batting so I quilted one side with straight parallel lines for added detail.

3)  Fuse interfacing or fleece according to package directions. (Or quilt batting to one piece of fabric.  You can see the detail of that in the second picture.)

 4)  Cut ribbon 15 to 20 inches - depending on the length of your changing pad.  Remember the ribbon will be folded in half, and it needs to be long enough to wrap around the rolled up changing pad and tied.  Fold it in half right sides together.

5)  Sandwich folded up ribbon in between fabric rectangles right sides together.  Pin.  Sew around leaving two inches for turning.

6)  Turn.  Fold in turning opening and top stitch all the way around the changing pad to close up opening. 

7)  Roll up, tie, stick in diaper bag along with diaper wipes and doll diapers!  So cute!  Hours of fun for your little one!

Craft on!
   
Click on the links below for some of the great parties I may link to, or check out my "I like to party" page.
Weekend - a little lovely, Craft Envy, Under the Table and DreamingBe Different Act Normal, A Vision to Remember, 504 Main - Tickled Pink, Funky Junk Interiors, Tatertots and Jello, I heart naptime

Monday - Keeping it Simple, Craft-O-Maniac, The Girl Creative, The Trendy Treehouse, CRAFT, Making the World Cuter, Mad in Crafts, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Between Naps on the Porch, Tools Are For WomenIt's So Very Cheri, Skip to My Lou, Sew Can Do

Tuesday - All Thingz Related, Sugar Bee, New Nostalgia, Creative Itch, Lucky Star Lane, Hope Studios, These Creative Juices, My Delicious Ambiguity, Today's Creative Blog-Get Your Craft On!, Tasty Tuesdays at Housewife Eclectic



Friday - The Sabby Nest, A Little Knick Knack, Fingerprints on the Fridge, It's Fun to Craft!, It's a Hodgepodge Life, Kojo Designs, Amy Lou Who, A Few of My Favorite Things, Simply Sweet Home, Frou Frou Decor, Remodelaholic, Foodie Friday at The Speckled Dog

20 comments:

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

Wow - soo cute yet again!! This is seriously the best dolly set I've ever seen. So much better than store bought. I love the changing pad - the ribbons are really cute. :)

Anonymous said...

I love this littel dolly set and the bag adorable and I agree with the above commentor - you wouldn't be able to find something this unique in a store. Great work!

Kristin said...

This is too cute! I'm your newest follower!

Kristin :)
Keenly Kristin

Unknown said...

You really do think of EVERYTHING! I admire your dedication.

memakingdo said...

You have so many cute ideas. I love this! I would love if you linked it to my linky party!
http://memakingdo.blogspot.com/2010/09/your-so-very-creative-linky-party.html

Unknown said...

I just LOVE this!!

Liz @ LivingMySweetLife said...

you are awesome!
you know what you have to do next right?
make a cute little custom made doll! j/k
you put so much hard work into this play set, it's fantastic! I think I am going to make this whole play set for my nieces birthday in February!

Vanessa said...

I want your seamstress skills. You inspire me to keep practicing!

Quimby said...

Well, you did it. You made me break down and make another gift for the kiddies. I sure hope you're happy, knowing that you are responsible for the death of so many trees (for the wrapping paper)! By now I think I've destroyed an entire Indonesian rainforest. Won't you please think of the trees and stop coming up with such wonderful ideas?

Unknown said...

You just have the cutest ideas! Thanks for joining us for Anything Related!
{Rebekah}

Anne said...

I am LOVING your Pretend and Play series!! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-pretend-and-play-changing-pad-for-dollies/2010/09/29/

--Anne

Jill said...

I love the diapers, wipes and changing pad! I'm going to make these for my 2 yr old niece for Christmas... she already has plenty of diaper bags and purses, but I think she'll be ECSTATIC to have the necessary items!

Cristie said...

Very fun! I think I'll making this for my grand daughter. Thanks for sharing!

Megan Gunyan said...

Oh my goodness, SO CUTE! My girls would LOVE this. What a fun and creative idea! Is this for your kids now or for Christmas? Thanks so much for linking up to my Friday link party! See you next Friday!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Simply adorable! You are so talented!

Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

miranda said...

This is super cute! I love this idea, thanks for sharing!

Nike@ChooseToThrive said...

My girls would LOVE this! Adorable!

Jennifer Dawn said...

This is such a cute idea. I may have to make one of these.

Jayna Rae said...

What an amazing set of pretend stuff you have created. If only I had a girl.

cleaning said...

The best changing tables and pads liners will help shield your changing pad from wetness and stains, yet additionally, keep your little one overall quite warm at the hour of your will work with diaper changing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails