Friday, March 12, 2010

wood craft week: celebrating failure...again!

If you've been journeying with me for a while, you know that I'm a big fan of failure.  My membership in the failure fan club started at an early age after falling when learning to walk, running into the garage while learning to ride a bike, getting in an accident shortly after learning to drive.  Somewhere along the way, I realized that failure can be a good thing - if you let yourself learn something from it.  

Since starting this crafting gig, I have earned a platinum membership in the failure fan club.  (Hence the reason for starting my flickr page to celebrate failure.)  Wood craft week has not disappointed me...it has left me plenty of room for failure.  You don't know how many times I had to paint over mistakes on my wonderful little painted people.

And then there's these little wooden gems.  (Sorry about the picture quality...just another failure to add to my celebration list.)

If you read my first post for wood craft week about painting people, you will remember that I also purchased wood bobbins and balls in hopes of making them into people.  I abandoned that hope when I realized I would have to glue them all together and my laziness won out.  

So...what's a gal to do with 20 wood bobbins and 36 little wood balls?  Hmmmm...make lacing beads?  Yes!  I picked up some wooden-wheel shaped pieces and decided that I would paint the bobbins, balls and wheels in bright colors, pair them with some new shoelaces and place them in a little container of some sort...voila...fun lacing beads any toddler would enjoy.  A great addition to my twelve crafts till Christmas.  

And that's where failure comes in...

Monday night I sat down to paint - starting with what I thought was going to be a great light green and bright pink.  It took me about two coats of paint and hands covered in green and pink to realize that I would need about ten coats of paint of light green and five coats of paint of bright pink on each little bobbin, ball and wheel.  

If you've come to know me at all, you know I'm not patient enough to go to all this trouble.  So I've ditched the wood beads until I can either a) find thicker darker paints or b) get some primer.  I'm assuming primer would help eliminate the soaking in of color and the need for so many coats.  Can anyone validate that assumption for me?  

Bobbins, ball and wheels are back in the craft box; failure is celebrated because I learned something; and tomorrow I will...

craft on!       

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails