Thursday, March 11, 2010

wood craft week: twinkle, twinkle little star

Starlight, star bright, first star I see tonight . . . Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket . . . Twinkle, twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are . . .

Decorating and adding color to the walls of a house you don't own is a challenge.  This is the challenge I face.  All of the walls in our house are as white as the snow that never seems to go away outside.  It didn't seem to bother me that much until I saw my oldest daughter's little profile shot on my third ultrasound.  All of the sudden I had an urge to add color, design, dimension to the walls of a room in our house that this little bundle could call hers.  

That brings me to my explanation for why nursery rhymes about stars and wood craft week converge into one post.  I used both stars and wood to add much needed color, design and dimension to the walls of a room with white walls.  This is a great way to decorate a nursery or kid's room in a rented apartment or house.

I bought wood star shapes in various sizes, wood letters to spell a variety of words and my daughter's name, painting canvases, super strong sticky tack, paint and sponge brushes all from my beloved Hobby Lobby. 

I chose letters to spell dream, laugh, love, play, hope, believe and painted them with various colors.  Then I used massive amounts of stainless sticky tack to adhere them to the wall.  I also painted stars in various shapes and used them to accent the words, the mirror, a window and the door.


I painted canvas rectangles and tacked the stars on them for wall art.  These also require a massive amount of sticky tack in order to stay on the wall. 


Okay, technically these square canvases painted in solids and stars don't really use any wood, but I really like them.  Each canvas is ten by ten, and it was super easy to draw and paint the stars on them.  Cheap and easy wall art at its finest (okay, maybe "finest" isn't the most accurate descriptor...maybe "mediocre" would be more accurate). 
So . . . if you (like me) live in a house or apartment you don't have the freedom to paint or perhaps you (also like me) are sort of fickle when it comes to decorating, a little visit to the wood craft isle at your local Hobby Lobby, Michael's or other craft store may give you a little decorating inspiration.  Grab some paint, a few brushes, some wood shapes and letters and . . .

craft on!

**I'm linking this to the CSI Project for the week of June 22.  Please click on the button to check out some great ideas for wall art, frames, etc.
Visit thecsiproject.com

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails