Wednesday, December 1, 2010

do you know what tomorrow is?

Thursday is the easy answer.  But that's not where I was going with that.

Tomorrow is the first day of Hanukkah . . . well, actually this Jewish celebration starts in a few short hours.  Since we're talking traditions, I wanted to highlight this traditions of Hanukkah.  I'm not Jewish, so I won't even come close to doing this justice.  If you celebrat Hanukkah, I would love to hear about the traditions you use to celebrate this holiday in your home! 

Hanukkah, also known as the Festival of Lights, is an eight-day celebration commemorating the rededication of the Temple in Jerusalem.  This celebration includes traditional songs, lights, prayers, games and gift-giving. 

And Sara from Creative Jewish Mom has some wonderful traditions, crafts and recipes on her blog that highlights some of the traditions of Hanukkah. 

Check these out:




We have an excellent little book that we read to our girls to help them understand Hanukkah.  They love the idea of a celebrating with light and candles. 

Do you have ways that you try to help your kids understand the variety of holidays and traditions in your community?

Tradition on!

2 comments:

Quimby said...

As an American living in Australia raising two dual citizen kids with my Australian husband, we make a point of celebrating American and Australian. Each holiday has its ritual - lamb chops on the barbie for Australia Day; apple pie for the 4th of July; etc. I want my children to feel like they belong in Australia, because this is where we live, after all; but I also want them to understand and appreciate my country of origin, because it is a part of them too.

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

This is very cool. I don't know much abour Hanukkah - I'll have to head over to her site and check it out! Our kids have been asking about it and I'd like to be able to explain it to them. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails