Thursday, December 30, 2010

in lieu of crafts . . .

I'm back from my blogging break, but not back into crafting . . . yet.  I have a few projects all written up, but I'm holding out on you until after my blogversary.  Ooooo . . . the suspense . . . how will you survive?! 

I'm not very good at holding off on posting though.  Usually, when I write up a post, it takes every ounce of self-control that I have to schedule it for the next day and not post it immediately.  So in an effort to keep myself sidetracked from posting my projects, I'm doing something a bit different today along with Amy at The Idea Room

If you only stop over here for crafty stuff, you probably want to move on now because I'm about to reveal a few personal details.  Gasp!

Randomness Revealed
~I used to HATE (and I don't use that word often) chocolate, but around the exact same time I got pregnant for the first time, I became 100% addicted to it.  Now, if you looked in my purse at any given moment, there would almost certainly be at least one piece of chocolate in there somewhere.

~I am a super big fan of the sun.  In fact, right now I could use a little dose of sun.  It's been gray for what feels like FOREVER . . . in reality it's probably been a week or so . . . but either way, I cannot function.  My mind is foggy.  My attitude is crabby.  And my motivation to do anything is non-existent.  Yep, if there happened to be a fan club for the sun, I would be first in line to be president of that fan club. 

~I wasn't really sold on the whole "mom-gig" until I became pregnant for the first time.  Not that I didn't think moms were great, but I just wasn't super focused on being one myself.  However, the minute I found out that I was pregnant for the first time, I became a mom at heart.  From that point on, I was sold.  Unfortunately, I never got to hold that sweet baby in my arms . . . just in my heart.  But I went through a few trials to bring my two sweet girls into the world, and it was totally worth it.

~For an entire year in college, I drove a car that did not reverse.  I had to park only in places that I would be able to drive forward out of or I would have to ask friends to help push me out of parking places.  Good times!

~I do not kill bugs . . . ever . . . except for ants in my home.  For some reason, I have no compassion for ants that are rummaging through my cupboards.  If I find a spider, crawling across the floor, I will scoop it up and put it outside . . . but if I find an ant crawling across the floor, all bets are off!  If ants are outside, I have no beef with them.  I will not allow my children to step on them or hurt them in anyway when they are playing outside. 

(Warning this is about to get weird!)

This sounds compassionate, but it really stems from an irrational fear that developed after seeing a number of really bad horror movies as a kid/tween - Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, The Giant Claw, Them!, etc. 


The common theme of these movies is that normal-sized things become giant-sized monsters that destroy everything in their path.  That last one, Them!, is the source of my kindness towards bugs. You see, that particular movie is about little tiny ants that become giant through some freak accident.  As giant ants, they enact their revenge on everyone and everything that stands in their way.  From the moment I saw that movie, I decided that I would be kind to bugs . . . just in case they become monstrous in size through some freak nuclear accident.  I would at least be able to say to them . . . assuming that along with their increase in size, they also have an increase in logical thinking and communication, "Hey, I've been trying to help your kind out almost my entire life.  Please won't you spare me and my family."  See, I told you that was going to be weird!       

You've probably stopped reading by now because you realized what an absolute nut I am, but just in case you are still reading, here's a few more random tidbits.

~Almost daily I do something that leaves me thinking, "Shoot, I wish I was a kinder person."  Whether I put my foot in my mouth, take someone for granted, dig my heels in on an issue when I probably shouldn't, answer a question with a bit too much sarcasm, or whatever . . . I could definitely be kinder.

~I love the song To Be With You by Mr. Big.  On a related note . . . I'm a dork.

~I like to read, run, lift weights, eat healthy . . . and I need to do all of those things with a little bit more dedication and passion this year. 

~I can be wordy . . . and long-winded . . . so . . .

Link up here:



And craft on!

21 comments:

Unknown said...

LMAO! Your comment about wishing you were kinder made me crack up. I totally feel the same way. Like I'll be at the hairsalon and hating the small talk. Then I feel guilty for acting snarky. Anyway, you're not alone on that one. I also don't kill bugs.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Well, of course you don't kill the SPIDERS, because Spiders kill all of the other bugs for you!

Christine @ sugarandtrash.com said...

you like Mr Big? I met Eric Martin last summer, he is a good friend of my boyfriend's parents and attended their annual summer party. If you think you are wordy....whew, that dude doesn't stop!!
thanks for commenting on my post. Actually, I think that my mom ruined my career life. She tried to pull the same thing with my daughter. Now my daughter calls her the dream-killer. Of course, I cannot post that ;-)
I am your newest follower, can't wait to see what you do next!

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

Ooooooh! This was very fun! I love posts like this. :)
I'm with you on the sun. It rained her last week for 5 days straight and I felt crazy by the end of it. Ugh.
Sorry about your sweet baby. I've been there too. It's so hard. I'm glad you've been blessed with two sweet girls. :)
I have to disagree on the bugs. I'm not quite as compassionate as you there. :)
Thanks for sharing your "Randomness" with us!!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Your car in reverse! LOL! I'm glad to be in your company. During my college days, I had a yellow boxy car which I eventually had to start by first opening and closing that round air-filter thing-a-ma-jig on top of the engine. Yes, they were good times!
I quite enjoyed your moments of randomness. It's so much fun being a dork, don't you think? :-) Happy New Year to you! May it be another crafty one for you!

cheryl said...

hmmm, I can sort of understand the bug thing, but what if there is a hideous ROACH in your house? Those things drive me crazy!!! I was reading this laughing...thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

I love your randomness! And I think the chocolate thing must have something to do with those hormones shifting in the mom brain... maybe we should do a study on that... which would, of course, involve eating more chocolate...

Rachel Sue said...

Two things:

1. I thought I was the only person younger than 50 to have seen THEM! We watched that growing up. I loved it for some strange reason.

2. I have a thing about killing bugs too. I kill spiders when they are in my house. (I hate spiders.)But I don't kill anything else. And now, we have a mouse and everyone keeps telling me to go get poison for it, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Why should I kill something for just trying to survive? Silly. I know.

Melinda said...

Loved this post =) I'm the same way about bugs - I won't kill them, inside or out, unless it's ants in my kitchen (and also bathroom there for awhile, turns out they decided to build an apartment building behind my shower wall *shudder*).

Jill said...

Okay, love Mr. Big and I too, am a 'chocolate pregnancy virgin'. You couldn't pay me to eat a chocolate cupcake before, but now... jeez!

chris said...

Chocolate is my downfall. I also feel like I walk around not being as kind or aware of others as I should be. So glad you're my friend.

Amber Sheaves said...

Oooh, I love random tidbits. I almost stopped reading at the chocolate hating part. That's just not right!

I also don't kill bugs. Except ants. I don't want them telling their other ant friends about my messy, crumb-filled kitchen. And flies. They're just gross.

And I don't think it's irrational. It sounds very rational to me. I mean, it happened in a movie so it can happen in real life, right? ;)

Amy {The Idea Room} said...

LOL! That was fun! I hope you don't like me now because I am a confessed spider killer...well, I guess I don't kill them, but I persuade others too...

I have seen a couple of those crazy movies too LOL!

Love that you love chocolate now and glad that you were able to get a couple of babies here for you to love on! Thanks so much for playing along!

Unknown said...

You ARE a Nut! But a great, talented nut! Loved learning more about you!

John Wick said...

The innovation has truly penetrated our life and made it significantly better when contrasted with previously. 3g 4g wifi routers This period we are living in is the consequence of these mechanical show-stoppers being manufactured each day now.

Jack Leo said...

Most organizations have various homes you can look over and you can pick the materials for the system. There are numerous advantages to getting a pack house. paracord watch supplier Securing this sort of home can be very reasonable

William Attewell said...

In the event that you have ever been tormented by this industrious , you know there's in excess of a DMSO dimethyl sulfoxide supplier cure you can attempt in disposing fast.

top sieve said...

There are various types of compressed air dryers. Their performance characteristics are typically defined by the dew point. molecular sieve supplier dryers employ two heat exchangers, one for air-to-air and one for air-to-refrigeration.

Savannah said...

It is nothing unexpected that streets and roads are the most clumsy zones in the metropolitan areas. street light Manufacturer

Richard John said...

specialty coffee, doing it well with consistency, and promoting it (branding, visual merchandising, events, collaborations with suppliers, customer service ...) shrink labels manufacturers

Leann Castillo said...

I read your article very carefully. I think you should also write an article about it earring box packaging. This will be beneficial for others I guess thank you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails