Tuesday, December 7, 2010

tuesday's true confession: i quit


Okay . . . not really!

But I'm watching listening to the latest episode of Survivor on CBS(dot)com, so I caught the quit-er bug.  But now that twelve (plus) days of traditions is officially over (sadness), I'm getting back into my posting schedule.  I have to confess that I'm struggling to craft, take pictures, post stuff . . . and pretty much anything else related to blogging.

You see, I'm an all-or-nothing type of person.  If you are one or you live with one, you know what I mean. 

For an all-or-nothing person like myself, it's kind of a challenge to get back into the swing of things after a break from a typical schedule. 

This is exactly why I make myself exercise EVERY SINGLE DAY with the exception of about two to three weeks off after giving birth to my little munchkins . . . because I'm pretty sure that birthing a 9 1/2 pound baby is worth three weeks off in the exercise department.  And every day during that little break, I was telling myself that on such-and-such a day I would be exercising NO MATTER WHAT.  I'm the type of person who after taking one day off from anything (like exercise) pretty much says to herself . . . 

"Hey, I didn't do it yesterday so I that means that I should never do it again . . . EVER . . . for the rest of my entire life . . . EVER."  

This is the reason why I shave my legs EVERY DAY. 

Here are some examples of what could happen for a person like me:
  • "Hey, I didn't eat very well today, so I guess I will just eat chocolate and cheesecake for the rest of my life."
  • "Wow, I didn't get to sleep by 10:30 tonight, so I guess I should stay up until midnight forever."
  • "Yikes, I didn't floss last night before bed.  Well, I think I'll stop brushing too.  That will save me a lot of time."
  • "Uh oh, I didn't work on a craft this week, so I will NEVER turn on my sewing machine again."

I know . . . trust me . . . I know that it's completely illogical

And I suppose that typing up these last few posts is a step in the right direction . . . a step back on the blogging track. 

But what about you? 

How did you keep yourself motivated?  What do you do to get yourself back into a schedule of any kind after a break?  I definitely need some tips . . . and maybe a little kick in the . . . I think you know where I'm going with that.

Confess on! 

   

11 comments:

Debra Hawkins said...

I am actually quite thrilled that you are this way. I am COMPLETELY this way and my husband says there is no chance that there is someone as illogical as me out there! Yay, there is someone! I am totally the same way with my blog, I either want to post 10 times a day or I don't even want to look at it. I am most like that way with sewing! I haven't pulled my machine out in a month or so and if I don't force myself tomorrow those Christmas presents will never be made but for some reason, I can't seem to force myself. :)

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Same here. How to stay motivated? Talk to yourself a lot...in the third person...and use reverse psychology...works EVERY time.

Anonymous said...

I am so totally the same way. As a matter of fact I have been trying to get everything back under control for the last 2-3 months but it's like everything is just slipping through my fingers. I say that I'm going to scrapbook or craft but then I think I can just do it tomorrow. I always say I'm gonna post pics of my activities but I figure if the few people who read my stuff have gone this long they don't need it right? I hate it. If you come up with a good way to talk yourself out of it let me know. :)

Vanessa at Rescued Goods said...

Props and great compliments from other people are always good to keep me going, but of course you can't really solicit those-it just isn't the same, righ?! But anyway, I think your blog is really awesome and I have enjoyed reading each day since I found you. So, Thank you! Hang in there. I completely hear you, and all the other commenters!

Timmi said...

I'm in the same boat right now. My problem is that I get the motivation at the wrong times like when my kids need me or when I should be making dinner. Or its raining icicles and I want to go running. WTF! That just doesn't pan out. So I have to make a written list and look at it. Mark things off when something gets done YAY! I got to cross something off. I get a treat. HA HA

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

It's so hard this time of year. When it feels like we need to keep the blog going but there are - oh - about a zillion things that need to get done at the same time. Ack.
Maybe we can schedule a blog spa day in January. haha. After that we'll all be refreshed and ready to roll again!!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I'm pretty much an all-or-nothinger, too. That's why right now, I haven't been exercising, been staying up till 2 a.m., and blogging almost every day. Oh, and vacuuming the whole house yesterday after not having done it for 2 months. I also ramble a lot. :-) What was the question? Oh yeah, motivation. Lately, I make up challenges for myself or hook up with ones I find on blogs...That Naonka and Purple Kelly. I hope there aren't too many of them in their mold.
Merry Christmas!
Su-sieee! Mac
This and That. Here and There. Now, Sometimes Then.

Unknown said...

Don't quit! Never give up, never surrender! I hear you though... blogging is all-or-nothing for me too. As are exercising, crafting, and eating. Okay, not eating so much, but sometimes. :)

My motivation is my Wednesday posts at Housewife Eclectic. I don't like having two posts in a row be the "hey I'm over here today" posts so that guarantees I post at least once a week other than that. And the fact that somehow I feel like the 3 people who read my blog will be sad if I don't share my latest stuff... so thanks for being one of those 3 people. :)

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

I SO understand. My thing is procrastination. I'll procrastinate my Christmas cards because addressing 50 sounds like too much work. I decided yesterday that I can actually just do 10 today and send those out and 10 tomorrow, and so on. As far as crafts. Maybe repost some of your original post. Christmas is a busy time! New Years is a good time to get motivated again ;)

Chelsi said...

I wish I couldn't relate, but I can. I used to hit my yoga class EVERY Wednesday until school interrupted it. Now, I'm having the hardest time getting back to every week. I was a regular blogger on my family blog until something (can't even remember what, for sure--probably going back to school) derailed that. Now, I rarely blog. It's so hard to get back into a schedule once I've fallen out. How to do it? Still working on that one.

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

My blog languishes while I go through my "if I do another craft I might just puke" phase. Don't worry... at least in my case that phase will pass and I'll be in the "I have too many ideas and not enough time!" phase. :) Don't beat yourself up. Blogging is supposed to be fun! ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails