Thursday, August 19, 2010

doll bassinet tutorial - part 1

Have you ever heard that phrase, "History is the study of the past to learn for the future"?  Well, I'm pretty sure whoever said that wasn't expecting it to apply to blogging, but I like grossly misapplying things. ;)  I learned two things from my pillow buddy craft and tutorial that spanned the length of two months:
  1. I need to start my crafts till Christmas before the last week of the month.
  2. I need to make the tutorials more manageable in length so that I'm motivated to get them done.

So this month I started on my craft - the doll bassinet - a little bit earlier.  And I'm breaking the tutorial up into two parts.  This makes it easier for me to get it done.  

In this post (part 1), I'm including:
the materials needed for the entire project
the instructions for the lining of the body
the instructions for the lining of the hood
the instructions for the straps/handles

Part 2 will include:
the instructions for the outside of the body
the instructions for the outside of the hood
the instructions for putting it all together
   

The Doll Bassinet - Part 1

Here's what you need for the whole enchilada:
1 - 36 x 6 inch piece of fabric for the outside body
1 - 36 x 6 inch piece of fabric for the inner lining of the body
1 - 36 x 6 inch piece of high loft quilt batting
1 - 36 inch strip of ribbon
1 - 13 x 7 inch piece of fabric for the outside bottom of the body*
1 - 13 x 7 inch piece of fabric for the inner bottom of the lining*
1 - 13 x 7 inch piece of high loft quilt batting*
1 - 16 x 9 inch piece of fabric for the outside of the bassinet hood
1 - 16 x 9 inch piece of fabric for the inner lining of the bassinet hood
4 - 22 x 2 inch strips of fabric for the straps

*As you can see, the bottom pieces have rounded edges.

Here's what you do for the lining and the straps:
1)  Pin one long edge of the 36 x 6 inch piece of lining fabric around the 13 x 7 inch piece of lining for the bottom.  Although it didn't really matter with my fabric, pin these piece right sides together.  Sew together about 1/4 of inch in from the pinned edge all the way around.  Then pin and sew up the seem where the ends of the long piece meets.  Put lining body aside for now.

2)  Take 16 x 9 inch piece of lining fabric for the hood and cut an arch on one long side of the fabric.  Best way to do this is fold fabric in half and cut so the arch is symmetrical.  The first pic is of the fabric folded with arch cut.  The second pic is off the fabric unfolded so you can see that the arch is pretty shallow.

3)  Fold arch piece in half and pin the side opposite the arch.  Pin along that edge about five inches (see second picture).  

4)  Sew the five inch section.

5)  Take the opening between the last stitch of the 5 inch section and the fold and open it.  Then flatten it so it is perpindicular (or makes a T) to the five inch section. 
6)  Pin and sew along edge.  You should have a T-shaped side when finished.

7)  Pin strap pieces right sides together.  Sew down each long side.  Turn and top stitch down both sides again.  You don't need to close up the two open short ends.  (For some reason, I totally spaced the turning and the top stitching photos.  Oops!)
At this point, you have the lining of the body, the lining of the hood and the strap done! 

Woo hoo!

Stay tuned for the outside of the body, the outside of the hood and assembly.
(Edited later to include . . . click here for part 2)

In the mean time . . .

craft on!

I may linke to some of these great parties!

39 comments:

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

This is just darling. I'm thinking of making one for each of my nieces. It would fun to make them up then add a sweet little doll. Thanks for the tutorial!

cjameliamom said...

OMG! I can't wait to start this. My little girl will just LOVE it!

Thanks!

Unknown said...

I am so impressed with all of your projects, every last one! The only problem is that now I need a daughter for which to make these lovelies. I'm sure my son would also have fun with it (eventually), but I'm not sure that Daddy would approve. :)

Polly said...

What an ambitious project! Thanks for the step by step tutorial. I love seeing how things come together.

emilyc @ Sew Super Sweet said...

This is a DARLING project...great work! It makes me wish I had little girls. :) I am dropping by from New Friends Friday at The Creative Girl!

The Charm of Home said...

Great gift idea! All dollies need one of these.:)
Sherry

Simple Stitches AZ ~ Rachelle S. said...

What a fun idea! My youngest daughter would love this...great Christmas gift idea!

Thanks for sharing & I'm looking forward to the rest of the tutorial

Rachelle S.
Simply Crafting @ www.chelstamps.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Having three little boys, it isn't often that I get to craft in pink bu this is just so adorable. I'll definitely be looking back at this tutorial to make one for my neice for Christmas.

http://boyohboyohboycrafts.blogspot.com

Kitschalicious said...

I am so glad you are doing a tutorial on this! I was so hoping you would, actually I was closing my eyes real tight and crossing my fingers while sayin "please do a tutorial...please do a tutorial!"

You are awesome!!! Can't wait for part 2!!!

Stacey said...

This is SO adorable!! Thanks for the tutorial, this is on the MUST do for Christmas! Thanks!

Unknown said...

That doll bassinet is too cute! Great job!

Thank you for joining us this week for Anything Related!
{Rebekah}

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

What a fun idea!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

I found your project via We did it Wednesday. This is absolutely adorable. It is a wonderful gift and would make a sweet little girl really happy.

Jami said...

You are too talented! I'm going to share this with my friend who has a little girl!
smiles!

Heather @ Family Friendly Frugality said...

Oh my goodness this is adorable!!!

I am your newest follower!!!

Anneliese said...

Very cute!

Terrell said...

This is presh!! How super sweet!Thank you so much for linking your wonderful creation up at Frou Frou Decor today!
Have a beautiful weekend, girly!
~Terrell @ FFD~

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

Adorable. If only I had a little girl and could sew really well. I get by with my sewing. I did smile when I noticed you sew on the floor just like I do.

Lorie said...

I used to have a cloth bassinet just like this when I was a kid! If I made one for my daughter I could probably throw out the toy pack and play that takes up WAY too much floor space!

Eileen said...

This is the cutest thing I ever saw. Thank you so much for the tutorial. It looks pretty easy and yours turned out great.

Sew Can Do said...

Great timing - we just got some new baby dolls! I'll be featuring this in this week's Craftastic Monday. Stop by & grab a featured button:)

Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity said...

This rocks! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm featuring you today on Tot Tuesdays! :)

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

This is adorable--oh how my daughter would have loved it, thanks for sharing!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

What an adorable project! Nice work!

Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

Rachel D said...

oh.my.goodness...this is adorable! I'm making a baby doll for my new niece (which is a bit of a stretch for me) and now I think I'll have to stretch myself even farther by adding this to the list. Thanks for the tutorial!

Diana said...

This is perfect.
I now know what the girls will have for christmas.
Thankyou so much for sharing this

Off to view the pretend and play diaper bag tutorial

Diana x

Kristi said...

I just wanted to thank you for the bassinet tutorial!! THANK YOU!! I made 2, one for a niece and 1 for my daughter. They were supposed to be for Christmas, but they were SO LOVED that the girls latched onto them NOW! Please feel free to see the pics at
http://piecesforreese.blogspot.com/
I think I need to make the pretend diaper bag....hmmm... Thanks again! Kristi

Anonymous said...

I hope you didn't answer this above, but for the 1st day, doing the straps, it says to sew down each long side and then to turn and topstitch. Do you mean turn them right side out and then stitch down the sides again? Thanks,
Rachel

elizabeth @ twelvecrafts said...

Yes, turn the straps right sides out and top stitch down both sides again. Sorry about the delay in reply. I'm doing huge catch up on comments and e-mails today!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Crystal said...

Thank you for sharing this great tutorial. I've made one for each of my three girls for Christmas. I also love your philosophy and have made handmade gifts for the majority of the gifts I'm giving this year.
I'm sharing how I used your tutorial on my blog today.
littlegirlsandpolkadots.blogspot.com

Thank you again!

Faye said...

thanks so much for sharing. i have a question though. im making one right now, and the bassinet hood, does it have the batting in it too?

elizabeth @ twelvecrafts said...

Faye, thanks for asking. Yes, you need the batting in the hood for the extra support in keeping the shape of the hood. Hope that helps.

nádya said...

This bassinet is sooo cute!!! Thanks for the tuto I hope I will have the courage to give a try and make one for my daughter!!! Hugs

Unknown said...

the perfect gift for little girls!!

I linked to your tutorial on my blog - thanks for sharing!

doro K.

gardener402006 said...

I went out and bought all the material and as I was reviewing this I realized it is going to be too small for a 17" doll. Can you tell me how I would adjust for one that size? I was so excited to find this posting and can't wait to make one for my granddaughter's new baby alive I just bought her for Christmas. Thanks!

Annie L said...

A lovely simple idea; I have made one without the hood and it looks fantastic! Thank you!

Unknown said...

So this month I started on my craft - the doll bassinet - a little bit earlier. And I'm breaking the tutorial up into two parts. This makes it easier for ... bassinetscradles.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Excellent effort to make this blog more wonderful and attractive. best bassinet

My Bassinet Guide said...

What's the best bassinet in 2022 worth buying according to you?

Related Posts with Thumbnails