Sunday, August 15, 2010

mini-sachet pillows tutorial

Last Monday I had the opportunity to kick off a guest post extravagance over at Sugar Bee.  Mandy, the creative genius behind Sugar Bee, has a great line-up of guest posters, and there is still one week left.  Don't miss out.  Hop over (after you read this, of course) and check Sugar Bee out.
In case you missed my guest post last Monday, I'm reposting it here too.  This tutorial will walk you through a simple process that you could use to get your feet wet in the handmade gift-making gig. 

Remember those lace sachets that you used to see in your grandmother's drawers?  Welcome to the modern version . . . perfect for your friend, mother-in-law, co-worker, etc.


Simple Mini-Sachet Pillows

What you need:
-fabric
-ribbon, other fabric scraps, ric rac, other embellishment ideas
-dried lavender, rosehips, assorted dried flower mix
-cheap white rice

What you do:
1)  Cut 3 to 4 pairs of 5 x 5 squares out of your fabric.

2)  Embellish squares using your creativity.  Options are endless . . . well, not endless . . . at some point the options will stop, but you get the idea.  

I tacked ric rac to one of the squares.

I also folded a ribbon into a ruffle on another square and used my sewing machine to sew a straight line down the center of the ribbon.

3)  Put square pairs right sides together and sew around all sides leaving a two inch opening for turning.

4)  Clip corners, trim off extra fabric and turn squares right sides out.

5)  Fill each square half with lavender or other dried flowers and half with rice.  The other option is to mix essential oils with rice and fill completely with the rice.  (Do you like my homely little paper funnel?  I'm thinking I'll find my real kitchen funnel in the bottom of the toy box during our next toy-purge.)

6)  Use a hidden stitch to sew up the opening you used for turning and filling.  (Or you can go the super easy route and use sewing/fabric glue . . . go for it!)

7)  Finish up any embellishments.  I made a little flower and put it on one of the sachet pillows.

8)  Tie with a ribbon.  Add a card.  Give a homemade gift that's been labored over and loved on!

Beverly from Flamingo Toes also posted a wonderful sachet tutorial using dryer sheets this week.  Go check her tutorial out as well!
Craft on!    

27 comments:

Papgena Made It said...

I have 2 questions, probably dumb, but I always want to question and never have the opportunitie, so:
first - when you put the pins all alingned (like in your third and fourth picture) do you actually manage to sew with your machine? I mean, doesn't the needle embarass the pin?;
second - doesn't the rice become spoil (or the beans)?

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

Elizabeth I love these!! That pleated ribbon is just darling - I still need to make your headband like that. But my favorite is the ric rac!! I love the way you tied them up with a bow - really cute.
And thanks so much for the link. You are really too sweet.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Those are darling and I love that fabric, cute cute!

Unknown said...

I'm planning to make Christmas gifts this year and these would be perfect for mine and my husband's grandmothers! Thanks for sharing!

~The Speckled Dog

That Crazy Ajumma said...

Those are cute!
Love the fabric!

Sassy Sites! said...

I love these! They are so darling!! Great job on them! I love how you gathered the ribbon down the middle!!

...visiting from Sassy Sites! I am a follower! Come by my blog and say HI! :)
(you have a very Sassy Site!)

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your project at Anything Related! ~Bridgette

Cate Brickell said...

clever idea!

Rustown Mom said...

I love these - I used to make them with potpourri and one side was wide lace ribbon. I also sewed a hanger on so you could slip it onto a clothes hanger in your closet. I think I might make up a batch of them - thanks for the inspiration!!

Unknown said...

Love all your crafts!! What a great blog! Found you at Tuesday Tagalong. Hope you can stop by www.magicalmouseschoolhouse.com, where Disney IS school!

Colette said...

Cute... great tutorial, you make it look easy!

Colette
www.mycomputerismycanvas.com

Misty @Creative Itch said...

Very cute!! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

Amy said...

These are adorable! They really do make the best gifts, your circle of friends that you give to are blessed!!
Thanks for linking up to "AP Tuesdays" @ New Nostalgia! Would love to see you again next week!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial--I want to make some for gifts!

Kat @ Black Kats Design said...

What a fun project. I love the fabrics and trims you used.

Thanks for linking up to the “Cheap Thrills Thursday” party at Black Kats Design. I hope you had fun and will join in again next Thursday!

Kat

www.BlackKatsDesign.blogspot.com

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

Very sweet! My mom and grandmothers all had sachets in their drawers. As a child, I thought that this was such a grown-up lady thing to do!

Terrell said...

Who doesn't love a great sachet!! These are seriously fabulous girl!! :D Thank you so much for linking this up to my party at Frou Frou Decor!! Have a great weekend!!
~Terrell @ FFD~

Megan Gunyan said...

Oh, so cute. I love the one with the orange 'ruffle' down the front. Very creative. I'm thinking of smelling dried flowers and yummy floral scents, but really all I can smell right now are the donuts my son found and ate while I was typing away this morning. Sigh.

I'd love it you stopped by my blog and joined my Friday link party!
http://alittleknickknack.blogspot.com/2010/08/blog-post.html
Have a great Friday!

Sherrie said...

I have a ton of dried rice that I was going to toss. I am now going to make some kids Bean Bags. Thanks for the idea.

Lindy said...

Oh so cute. I love the sweet little details.
L.

Larri said...

The pleated ribbon is too cute! Where do you purchase lavendar? Stopping over from Saturday Standstill. Happy Sewing! :o)

www.seamsinspired.com

Kristin Renee' Wynegar said...

I LOVE it! This is a fantastic idea!

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

I love all your ideas! Love this! Great fabrics too.

Unknown said...

These are darling!! I love your fabric choices. I have LOTS of dried lavender and should add these to my list to do....these would be perfect gifts for so many occasions :)

Blessings!
Gail

Zafran ali said...

These are awesome!!! I'm going to have to make these.
Send gifts to pakistan from usa

Unknown said...

This is really a nice post, that you have updated us with all of nice information that can be very useful for future.


send flowers to pakistan

Kit Charles said...

"Your blog has become a reliable companion on my quest for knowledge. The way you break down information and present it in a way that's easy to digest is a true gift. Your commitment to making complex topics accessible is changing the game in the world of online content. Kudos!"
https://savingcentstogether.com/promotions/double-down-promo-codes

Related Posts with Thumbnails