Friday, August 27, 2010

feed me friday: tex-mex layered enchiladas

Today's Feed Me Friday is featuring another recipe that was a part of the 30 Day Food Challenge over at A Vision to Remember.

I'm a vegetarian, so our family does meatless meals. Some vegetarian families get stuck in a pasta rut, but there are so many great non-pasta options out there.  In fact, I can turn almost any meat-based recipe into a meatless recipe with just a little creativity!  (Likewise, you can turn this into a meat-based recipe by just substituting ground beef.  But give it a try without.  You might just like it!)  Also, I typically try to sneak in some extra veggies here, there and everywhere, so in this recipe you will see chopped red pepper, grated or finely chopped zucchini.  (Again, you can leave it out, but give this a try too.  You might just like this too . . . or at least not even notice.)  Here's one of our family favorites:


Tex-Mex Layered Enchiladas

Prep:
1)  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2)  Spray 13x9 pan (or split recipe into 2 8x8 pans - 1 for baking now and one for freezing)

Here's what you need:
-1 lb. ground meat substitute like Morning Star Farms or Boca (or ground beef)
-1 can black beans
-1 sweet red pepper chopped
-1 zucchini grated or finely chopped
-1/2 a medium onion - chopped
-2 cups of salsa
-1/4 cup Zesty Italian Dressing (Light)
-2 Tbsp. taco seasoning or fajita seasoning
-6 large or 9 small whole wheat tortillas
-2 to 3 cups light sour cream
-1 pkg light cheddar cheese

Here's what you do:
1) Heat meat substitute (or saute brown ground beef) with onion, red pepper, and zucchini on medium heat.

2) Add salsa, drained black beans, Italian dressing, taco seasoning and stir together.

3) Arrange 2 large tortillas (or 3 small) on bottom of pan.

4) Cover with 1/3 of bean mixture, sour cream and cheese.

5) Repeat with two more layers starting with tortillas again.
6) Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting and serving.

Freeze and cook later directions:
-Freeze for up to 3 months.
-Bake 1 hour with foil on.
-Remove foil and bake 15 minutes.
-Let stand 5 minutes before serving.


Serve with whole wheat cornbread, steamed veggies and a mixed fresh fruit salad.  

Cook on!


Linking to the following great sites this week!
Weekend - a little lovely, Craft Envy, Under the Table and DreamingBe Different Act Normal, A Vision to Remember

Monday - Keeping it Simple, Craft-O-Maniac, The Girl Creative, The Trendy Treehouse, C.R.A.F.T, Making the World Cuter, Mad in Crafts, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Between Naps on the Porch, Tools Are For WomenIt's So Very Cheri, Skip to My Lou

Tuesday - All Thingz Related, Sugar Bee, New Nostalgia, Creative Itch, Lucky Star Lane, Hope Studios, These Creative Juices, My Delicious Ambiguity, Today's Creative Blog-Get Your Craft On!

Wednesday - It's So Very Cheri, Beyond the Picket Fence, Blue Cricket DesignTrendy Treehouse, Tea Rose HomeSomeday Crafts, My Backyard Eden, Sew Much Ado, Night Owl Crafting

Thursday -  Fireflies and Jellybeans, Life As Lori, House of Hepworths, Somewhat Simple, Seven Thirty Three, The Train to Crazy, PonyTails and FishScales, Black Kat's Design          

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm putting this in circulation when I make the next weekly menu, can't wait to try it!

I actually have two zucchini left over from making this recipe, titled the BEST ZUCCHINI BREAD RECIPE, EVER!

http://www.simplebites.net/how-to-make-the-best-zucchini-bread-ever/

And we have such similar substitution styles ... the light sour cream and cheeses and whole wheat tortillas... yep, yep!!

Unknown said...

Yum. Yum yum yum! This sounds fantastic, meatless or meated. How do you do whole wheat cornbread? My mom makes her cornmeal for her cornbread, but I'm not sure if she adds any other flour.

Rachel said...

I love enchiladas! I'm going to have to give this recipe a try, looks delicious.

Melissa said...

I make something similar to this in a crockpot.

Sassy Sites! said...

I am hosting a party over at Sassy Sites today too! I would love to have you join us and show off your fun blog! Come by and say hi and grab a button! oh... AND come and sign up for our giveaway too! $50 Gift Card in Vinyl Lettering!! xoxo

Marni @ Sassy Sites!

Anne said...

That looks great! I'm a vegetarian and like you said, I can turn just about anything into a meatless meal!

Debra Hawkins said...

I didn't know you were a vegetarian! My little one won't eat meat and so I am caught right now between making vegetarian meals for her and appeasing my carnivore husband. I think I am going to have to try this!

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

I'm your newest follower from the New Friend Fridays Blog Hop.

I would love it if you came by for a visit sometime.

Thanks so much,

Marie

The Things We Find Inside

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Looks so delish!

Dorian said...

Hi! Just wanted to say your blog is great! That's why I've awarded you with A Blog of Substance Award! Go to my blog for the button and details!
http://makingmudpie.blogspot.com

Diana said...

I just had to give this a try. I used ground beef, lots of vegetables on the side and washed it down with home-made Lemonade which is my sons famous recipe. It was Beautiful. Everybody liked it especially my Hubby!!

Thanks for sharing
Diana

Julie said...

Sounds delish! Can't wait to try it!

Wendy said...

Mmmm, YUMMY!

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

I thought this looked so yummy when I saw it at A Vision to Remember! I can't wait to give it a try. :)

Rustown Mom said...

I am adding this to my menu for next week - I love that it has so many veggie in it - a sure way I can get my peeps to get enough veggies!

Jenn said...

I'm gonna try this later this week! Sounds and looks delish!! Visiting from All THingz Related!!

Unknown said...

This looks very good! So glad you shared this great recipe with us this week!
{Rebekah}

shannon i olson said...

This looks so good. Perfect for fall.

Laura said...

This looks awesome Elizabeth!

Feel free to stop by my Etsy shop for free earring Fridays! http://www.etsy.com/shop/alongfortheride

Related Posts with Thumbnails