Friday, September 10, 2010

tic tac toe game tutorial

Have you heard of these people called boys?  I heard a rumor that they existed, but apparently the rumor is true.  There are other human beings in the world besides girls . . . shocking!  I had my suspicions . . . after all, where do men come from?  

If you have been following along with me for the past eight months as I have been making my Christmas gifts, you've probably noticed that I was unaware that these little human beings existed because everything I've crafted is in the girl-gift column.  (Although I believe you can make a lot of my gift ideas work for boys, but I've made them for girls.  Trust me, sew up a little doll bassinet carrier in some Cars fabric or a baseball pattern, and your little guy will be carrying around his favorite teddy bear too.  What better practice could there be for preparing to be a big brother?)  Then I looked down my Christmas' list, and I saw names like Jacob, Drew, Gabe, Brayden . . . aaack . . . these are not girl names that I am familiar with.  Turns out I have boys on my Christmas' list.  Double aaack!

This past weekend I started working on gifts for the boys on my list.  This idea can be easily whipped up for a girl or a boy.  If you have two hours, you can make this.  Easy birthday/Christmas/Hanukkah/whatever gift idea for the little kids in your life.

Tic Tac Toe Fabric Game Board

Here's what you need:
2 - 14 x 14 inch pieces of fabric
1 - 14 x 14 inch piece fusible interfacing
4 - 2 x 3 inch pieces of fabric for tabs
2 - 1 inch pieces of fusible hook and loop
4 - 15 inch strips of ribbon or ric rac
2 - 4 x 8 1/2 inch pieces of fabric for the pocket
1 - 1 inch piece of fusible hook and loop for pocket closure

Here's what you do:
1)  Attach according to directions one the soft side of hook and loop to the right side of one 2 x 3 inch piece.  (I fused with an iron and then stitched with a machine for extra hold.)  Do the same with the other soft side and 2 x 3 inch piece of the same pattern/color.  

2)  Pin wrong sides together with the other 2 x 3 inch pieces.  Sew around leaving bottom open.  Trim corners.  Turn.  Top stitch.

3) Fuse large square of interfacing to large square of fabric that will be on the outside of your tic tac toe board.

4) Pin 4 x 8 1/2 inch pieces of fabric wrong sides together.  Sew around all four sides leaving a 2 inch opening for turning.  Trim corners.  Turn.

5)  Pin opening closed and sew straight line across to close up.  Sew straight line across opposite end as well.

6) Take outside large square piece with the interfacing and fold over about four inches.  Fold pocket in half, and pin it around three sides (leaving top open - the stitched ends will not be pinned or sewn) near the center of the folded over portion of the large square.  This will form two pockets - see bottom picture. 

7)  Take the other large square and attach the ribbon in even spaces like a tic tac toe board.  Attach with fabric tape, glue or sewing machine.  I used glue. 

8) Pin two large squares wrong sides together sandwiching the tabs in the middle. Sew around all four sides leaving two inches open for turning.

9) Trim corners and turn.  Iron.  Top stitch around outside edge closing opening as you go.

10) Fold up board to find correct placement for the other side of hook and loop closure.  Attach by hand sewing, fusing or gluing.  Cut final hook and loop pair in half lengthwise and attach them to the inside of the two small pockets.

11)  Done . . . with gameboard . . . we still have the game pieces to work on, but that's for a later post.

Craft on!

I may link this project up to some of these great parties!  Check them out by clicking on the blog title below or visiting my "I like to party" page.

Weekend - a little lovely, Craft Envy, Under the Table and DreamingBe Different Act Normal, A Vision to Remember, 504 Main - Tickled Pink, Funky Junk Interiors, Tatertots and Jello,

Monday - Keeping it Simple, Craft-O-Maniac, The Girl Creative, The Trendy Treehouse, CRAFT, Making the World Cuter, Mad in Crafts, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Between Naps on the Porch, Tools Are For WomenIt's So Very Cheri, Skip to My Lou

Tuesday - All Thingz Related, Sugar Bee, New Nostalgia, Creative Itch, Lucky Star Lane, Hope Studios, These Creative Juices, My Delicious Ambiguity, Today's Creative Blog-Get Your Craft On!

Wednesday - It's So Very Cheri, Beyond the Picket Fence, Blue Cricket DesignTrendy Treehouse, Tea Rose HomeSomeday Crafts, My Backyard Eden, Sew Much Ado, Night Owl Crafting

Thursday -  Fireflies and Jellybeans, Life As Lori, House of Hepworths, Somewhat Simple, Seven Thirty Three, The Train to Crazy, PonyTails and FishScales, Black Kat's Design

Friday - The Sabby Nest, A Little Knick Knack, Fingerprints on the Fridge, It's Fun to Craft!, It's a Hodgepodge Life, Kojo Designs, Amy Lou Who, A Few of My Favorite Things, Simply Sweet Home, Frou Frou Decor, Remodelaholic

19 comments:

Sarah said...

That's such a great BOY idea! I love it!!

Sarah

Julie said...

Some boy ideas if you need em :)

teepee
superhero capes
(I have a tute I used for the above if you are interested)
marshmallow blow gun
(our nephews loved these!)
pvc sling chairs
rubberband gun
potato gun (these are GREAT for big boys...er, men)
I'll be posting all the things we've done with their tutorials soon,
Julie
vibrant-designs.blogspot.com

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

Soooo cute!! I love it! And so many options to personalize. You've done it again!!!

Maude Lynn said...

What an awesome idea!

Unknown said...

I love it! Glad to see you're finally addressing the rougher (would that be the opposite of fairer?) sex. :) I love the idea of a roll-up game board. So many fun games to adapt this for!

PS - Kudos on being copyright-correct and saying "hook and loop" instead of Velcro. It took me ages to realize that they were the same thing!

Ule said...

love the game!

funny thought because I always thought your mail carrier was for a little boy!

Katie Olthoff said...

Very cute!!! I wonder if my little could figure out this game - he'll be 2 1/2 at Christmas time. I'm thinking it would be too hard for him, but maybe next birthday? Or the next Christmas?

Cate Brickell said...

clever idea! I'm just starting to plan to blue gifts for this year!

I'd never noticed before you use pins like me - as few as possible, less chance of stabbing yourself, but chances are I'll have to unpick something, or live with the wonkiness ~lol~

FitNotQuitJess said...

this is a great idea! great for long car trips which we're taking in a few weeks with my 3.5 year old... thanks for the idea!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Very creative. Sometimes I wish I could sew!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

Super cute idea!

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

What a great gift idea for those little creatures called boys. In girly fabric it works for girls, LOL!
~Kimberlee
www.TheSpunkyDiva.blogspot.com
PS - I am having an Etsy Tuesday party and would love to have you link up your shop next Tuesday!

Karly said...

My boy would SOOOOO love this! thanks for the tute!

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

How fun is that??? Super cute!

~Lori @ Paisley Passions
Join my Linky Party Thrilling Thursdays

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Oh, that looks like fun! Great job!

Unknown said...

What fun! Thanks a bunch for joining us this week!
{Rebekah}

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

Christmas? I'm not even ready for fall!
gail

Krystal said...

Anxiously awaiting the tutorial for the pieces! I'm making 5 of these for christmas, and would love to get them done! {hint hint, nudge nudge} ;)

-Krystal @ recipesofacheapskate.blogspot.com

elizabeth @ twelvecrafts said...

Oh no . . . do I have egg on my face or what? I totally forgot about posting that tutorial for the tic tac toe pieces. I got soooo worked up in other projects. Thanks so much for the reminding me!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails