Thursday, September 30, 2010

bamboo felt and fleece button scarves


I finally received the e-mail I've been dreading all month.  A wonderful reader wrote this, "Hey, aren't you supposed to be working on hand-print gifts this month?"  I was hoping that no one actually remembered that.  You may have noticed that my self-diagnosed adult ADD kicked in, and I got totally distracted by the pretend and play mommy (or daddy) set.  Just when I got the obsession/distraction out of the way, a new one took its place . . . SCARVES . . . warm, fuzzy, comfy scarves!

Don't roll your eyes at me . . . I know it's fall.  I also know that fall just officially started last week.  And I do love fall, but I also love scarves . . . in fact, my love of scarves might be the only thing that gets me through winter. 

Last year my kids were always asking me why they didn't have any scarves of their very own, so this winter I've vowed to remedy that situation.  In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm over-compensating this year because this tutorial for the Button Scarf is the first in a series of what will be three different scarf tutorials.  Three?  Yes, three!  Aaack . . . this is defintely my new obsession. 

I'm in love with these buttons scarves I saw here and there last winter! 


This one is from a cute knit Etsy store.  Last week I had the chance to walk around a mall for an hour all by myself - a rare treat, and I saw these scraves everywhere in fleece, knit and wool (itchy).  I saw them for women, men, girls and boys.  Here's my version: 

Bamboo Felt and Fleece Button Scarf

Here's what you need:
-bamboo felt or fleece in a variety of colors*
-a solid, long strip of fleece
-a button

*Here's the deal with bamboo felt . . . it is so soft; however, it also shrinks a tiny bit if drycleaned and a little bit more than that if machine washed.  If washed super frequently, it also will break down a little bit faster than fleece.  So . . . I chose dark colors for this scarf so that it wouldn't need to be washed very much (gasp), and I plan to hand wash and hang dry to manage shrinkage.  If this is a concern for you, just use fleece for the entire scarf.

Here's what you do:
1)  Cut a vareity of felt or fleece strips in various widths.  One edge was cut with pinking shears and the other edge was cut with straight scissors. (I cut my strips 5 inches in length in various widths ranging from 2 inches to four inches.  When it was all said and done, this scarf was 4 1/2 inches wide and 36 inches long.  It was made to fit a 5 year old.) 

2)  Pin strips together in your own unique color combo.  The edge that has been cut with the pinking shears should be on top.  Sew strips together close to pinking sheared edge.

3)  Turn over and trim straight edges on back side of scarf.

4)  Pin wrong sides together to a strip of fleece the same size of your strip that is pieced together.

6)  Sew around fleece/felt combo leaving two inches for turning.

7)  Turn.  Fold in opening and pin shut.  Pin around and top stitch around edge of scarf closing up opening as you go. 

8)  Figure out where you want your button by trying on model or self.  Mark with disappearing ink.

9)  Cut slit just big enough for your button to fit through.

10)  Sew around all four sides of slit. You could use your button-holer on your machine, but frankly I'm lazy and that thing scares me, so this is my method.

11)  Sew button on.

12)  Done!  I'm betting on the fact that the model will forget about this scarf by the time it makes it into her stocking! ;)

Craft on!

Check out some of the great parties I may link to by clicking on the blog name below or visiting my "I like to party" page that shows off all the party buttons.

Weekend - a little lovely, Craft Envy, Under the Table and DreamingBe Different Act Normal, A Vision to Remember, 504 Main - Tickled Pink, Funky Junk Interiors, Tatertots and Jello, I heart naptime

Monday - Keeping it Simple, Craft-O-Maniac, The Girl Creative, The Trendy Treehouse, CRAFT, Making the World Cuter, Mad in Crafts, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Between Naps on the Porch, Tools Are For WomenIt's So Very Cheri, Skip to My Lou, Sew Can Do, Polly Wants a Crafter

Tuesday - All Thingz Related, Sugar Bee, New Nostalgia, Creative Itch, Lucky Star Lane, Hope Studios, These Creative Juices, My Delicious Ambiguity, Today's Creative Blog-Get Your Craft On!, Tasty Tuesdays at Housewife Eclectic

Wednesday - It's So Very Cheri, Beyond the Picket Fence, Blue Cricket DesignTrendy Treehouse, Tea Rose HomeSomeday Crafts, My Backyard Eden, Sew Much Ado, Night Owl Crafting

Thursday -  Fireflies and Jellybeans, Life As Lori, House of Hepworths, Somewhat Simple, Seven Thirty Three, The Train to Crazy, PonyTails and FishScales, Black Kat's Design

Friday - The Sabby Nest, A Little Knick Knack, Fingerprints on the Fridge, It's Fun to Craft!, It's a Hodgepodge Life, Kojo Designs, Amy Lou Who, A Few of My Favorite Things, Simply Sweet Home, Frou Frou Decor, Remodelaholic, Foodie Friday at The Speckled Dog

25 comments:

stephaniegiese said...

That's funny, because I literally just posted my latest project, which I made from deconstructing a fleece scarf. Check out my new solar system play set if you get a minute :)

http://binkiesandbriefcases.blogspot.com/2010/09/space-plat-set.html

Kristin said...

very cute Elizabeth! I love your "fake" button hole - perfect for non-fraying fabrics! The button holer on my machine scare me too!

Julie said...

Cute :) i don't think I could the hubs to wear that, but most certainly the kids! Ha! I LOVE your stocking stuffer page...some great ideas there...

Julie
www.vibrant-designs.blogspot.com

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Aw, how sweet! Nice job!

Kenzie said...

Love your version! So cute!

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

I love this scarf! The color stripes are so cute. And I love the little button closure. How is it that everything you make I want to make for my nieces. I need to do some weeding down here. Or actually sew something. ha.

Unknown said...

Hi there! I am a new follower! Hope you stop on by! Have a great weekend!
Thanks,
Alissia
http://tips4green.blogspot.com

Kimberly said...

I found your blog a while ago and just love all your ideas! But, I just recently saw your blog again over at New Friend Fridays at The Trendy Treehouse. I love the fleece scarf! Must be something in the air, I made a scarf this week too!

Kimberly
http://www.themuddyprincess.blogspot.com/

genny said...

nice blog you have, glad to be here. following you from New Friend Friday by Trendy Treehouse. cheers!

Michelle said...

That is so cute! What a great solution to kids scarfs. It stays in place, easy to close up and no tripping up on or dragging scarves behind. Love it!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

I love this! I don't knit, so I've never made a scarf, but I do sew. I'll be making one of these for my daughter. Thanks for sharing!

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Great project! Perfect use of that Bamboo felt!

Unknown said...

I love the colors! And using the pinking shears on one edge adds such a nice touch to the striped look. You are just too creative. Can't wait to see scarfs 2 and 3. :)

Rebekah Greiman said...

What a great idea! I found you through Its So Very Cheri. Thanks so much for sharing.

I just made a scarf from recycled sweaters (along with mittens) so your post, of course, caught my eye. Here's my link to the Sweater Scarf:
http://www.potholesandpantyhose.com/A/Arts_%26_Crap_Archives/Entries/2010/9/16_Recycled_Sweater_Scarf.html

Bumblebee and Sophie said...

Saw you on Its So Very Cheri. Love the bold fleece colors you used. Makes the scarf so festive and fun!

Lori said...

So very pretty! I've been meaning to experiment with bamboo felt soon. Love your blog!

Nesty Girl said...

I love this! You always have the best ideas!

Have a great week!

Staci J said...

That's darling elizabeth!! LoVE the colors, and your little model is pretty cute too:)
Come by and check out my giveaway this week!!
http://justsewsassy.com/2010/10/04/tuesday-tutorial-halloween-ribbon-ornaments-giveaway/

Unknown said...

Love these! Thanks for stopping by and linking to Anything Related!
{Rebekah}

Cecily said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

I love your colorful scarf! I just started wearing scarfs with my jackets last year and I would love to have one like this! Maybe I will find time to make one before it gets too cold. Thanks for the great instructions! I am visiting from It's So Very Cheri tonight.

Jennifer

Its So Very Cheri said...

Those are ADORABLE. (no need for them in SW Florida but I still think they are awesome.)


You should enter that in thediyclub.com "Weekly Showcase" party. We have a fun give-a-way each week this month.

We are looking for crafty talented people to showcase in our eZine-if you are interested let us know.

Check out our monthly contest as well, we have a $1500 give-a-way--one week left. Check out the guidelines and enter qualifying projects.

Cheri from ItsSoVeryCheri

Megan Gunyan said...

SO CUTE!!! I love the button and the bright colors are great. Wonderful tutorial! Great job!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

I love this one too! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites last week!

Holly Lefevre said...

The colors, the style..fabulous!

Related Posts with Thumbnails