Monday, November 15, 2010

twelve days of traditions: Christmas books with coordinating crafts

This is it . . . the moment we've all I've been waiting for . . . the first guest post of twelve (plus) days of traditions!  If you aren't sure what twelve (plus) days of traditions is all about, read more about it here and link up your own tradition ideas here.  

Hi!  I'm Jocelyn.  I blog over at We Talk of Christ, We Rejoice in Christ, where I share the many ways that I teach my children about the happiness that comes from living according to the teachings of Jesus Christ.  I love how family traditions focus us on what is really important, but I also love how celebrating family traditions not only makes us feel that we belong together as a family, but that we belong to each other.

Growing up, my family celebrated with a lot of unique Christmas traditions--We always went Christmas caroling, we always opened our presents at midnight on Christmas Eve, and we always read a book called The Littlest Angel.  

Last year, to make the season special for my children, I decided to combine our love of crafting with our love for curling up together with a good book!  


I collected 24 of what I consider the best Christmas books for children and each day in December we unwrapped one book and made an ornament or a craft that corresponded to the story that we read.

Since not everyone has time to do a craft every day during Christmastime, I've put together a list of my top twelve books.  These stories really are special.  A few of them touch on the secular symbols of Christmas, but most of them testify of the real reason for the season.  

Whether you adapt this tradition with crafting galore, or if you merely read the books together, I am sharing this list with you so that hopefully you will find a few gems to add to your family's celebration of Christmas!  The list below has links to my original post with tutorials or links to how-to's for each craft as well as a link to where you can find each book online.  You can see my full book list here.  Enjoy!

And however you celebrate...Have a very Merry Christmas!!!

Craft: Wire Spiders


Book:  Santa Mouse
Craft:  Mouse



Craft:  Manger



Craft:  Yarn Lamb



Craft:  Tea Bag Donkey




Craft:  Paper Angels


Craft:  Felt Trees


Craft:  Camel


Craft: Bells

If you have your own favorite holiday book you read or craft you like to do during the holidays, link up here and let us in of the tradition fun!

Thanks Jocelyn! 

Jocelyn is hosting an amazing giveaway on her blog for $130 to CSN to spend on someone in need this holiday season.  Click here to hop over and find out more.  One of my favorite traditions as a child was giving a bag of toys to a family in need.  This can be one your holiday traditions too, and Jocelyn wants to help make that possible. 
Tradition on!

27 comments:

April said...

I love these crafts....how creative and fun!!!

Unknown said...

What a seriously awesome tradition... all of my favorite things wrapped into one! I can't wait until my little boy is old enough to craft... and make the associated crafting messes... well, maybe I can wait but it sure will be fun! And we will definitely be reading the books. Thanks for sharing, Jocelyn!

Melissa said...

Love this idea!! Thank you!

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

These are all such fun traditions and crafts. Can't wait to try some with my family.

Tami's Eclectic Corner said...

Jocelyn - You rock! I can't wait to read more from your guest bloggers!

April said...

I love this idea!!!

Mandy Beyeler said...

what a great way to kick off the series!

jeanine said...

What a wonderful tradition! I love it!

Kendra said...

I just read a great book to my kids today called the The Kings Christmas List! It was a very touching story. Thanks for the great post. You are such a crafty lady!!

rebecca said...

What great ideas! We never do crafts that go with stories. But these crafts are cute, and it might help my toddler get into stories more.

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

This is so great! I love that idea. I haven't heard of some of those books - I'll have to check them out!

Amanda said...

I love the books you chose and the crafts you made. It's also brilliant that you've recorded it all for memories. When I did this type of thing with my boys I didn't take photos so luckily we have memories but I regret not being able to scrapbook it for future generations.
My boys are too old now but maybe they'll humour me and help me recreate those memories again.

nikib4kids said...

What a great idea! Such cute homemade ornaments to go with those wonderful books! You are an amazing mom!

Unknown said...

Jocelyn, Thanks for your wonderful ideas. We will definitely have an expanded reading list this Christmas and hopefully I can get some of the crafts together too. I know the kids would love it. Thanks again and I am glad to have found your website.

Michelle said...

LOVE this guest post here today! You know how much I love children's books! I've only read a handful of these so I'll be keeping our library busy checking out the other recommendations. Those crafts are impressive too!

Heather said...

What a great idea! This is similar to our Christmas tradition, but yours is far more crafty. Some of my favorite Christmas books are on that list too!

Pamela said...

I love using books as a theme for crafts. Here are my latest two:

http://ourshelteringtree.blogspot.com/2010/11/sheltering-through-kindness.html

http://ourshelteringtree.blogspot.com/2010/11/sugar-cookiessweet-little-lessons-on.html

This last author has one on Christmas Cookies that I want to do next. Teaching a child to love reading is the best gift you can give.

Susan Anderson said...

What a wonderful idea, Jocelyn!

=)

Marielle said...

Great post! I love "A Small Miracle" by Peter Collington. I encourage you to find it and share it with you family. Brings tears to my eyes every time.

Joy said...

This is a great idea. My dad would always share the story about the Fourth Wiseman with us.

JBSquared said...

This is so great - I have been wanting to start more traditions in our little family and I have been on the lookout for some good Christmas stories we can share together. We will definitely be using some of these ideas this year!

Nelle said...

Those are some adorable ornaments. What a great way to put something tangible with reading a story.

Kathryn-nannygoat said...

Great ideas!!!! I will be putting this one in my favorites file!

Brooke said...

Someday I hope to be just half as creative as you are. It's one of my weak points.

cari said...

I love this book advent calendar idea. I have been looking for just the perfect calendar idea and I think this one just might be it! Thanks for sharing!

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Thanks for the comments everyone...and the book suggestions...I'm going to add them to my list as well as a few new ones this year! Thank you!

Cindy Price said...

Thank you, Jocelyn. I'm going to use some of these ideas when the Grandchildren come for Christmas.

Related Posts with Thumbnails