Monday, November 22, 2010

twelve days of traditions: super fun gift-giving




Hi to all you crafty ladies out there!  I am Kim from seven thirty three and I am super excited to share one of my families Christmas traditions with you. But first, I would like to take a minute to introduce you to my blog!


seven thirty three is chucked full of creative ideas, tutorials, fun downloadable freebies and so much more! 
 
Some of my most recent projects:
 

 

Painted Bathroom Countertop  
 

Embroidery Hoop Earring Tree





I also offer blog design over at seven thirty three - - - custom blog design, so if you are in need of a button, a signature or the full sha-bang, look me up!  You can even click here for all the gossip from some past clients.
 
OK, enough about me and onto the fun tradition:
 
I come from a large family - my mom has 8 siblings, all married with at least 2 kids, several with 5-6 kids.  All but one family lives in state and most live within a 1/2 hour of each other.  Of course now the grandkids are having kids {there are now 8 great-grandkids with 2 on the way}.  See, big family {and that's just my mom's side... my dad has 7 siblings all with at least 2 kids and all but one in state}!
 
As you can imagine, it makes for a BIG family gathering. And WAY too many presents to buy! 
Needless to say, we have stopped drawing names for each individual person and moved on to a different system. Now each family draws another family and creates a basket for them.  And the basket making has taken on a life of its own!  Many, but not all, include handmade items, but all have themes.  
 
Some past themes have been:
Things That Always Disappear Around the House
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
The Redneck Basket, Yankees Rule
Things to Keep You Warm
Game Night
Things to Treasure

So what am I planning for this year? The As Seen on TV Gift Basket, of course! 
 
I drew my Uncle's family.  It is my Uncle Terry, Aunt Jackie, Shane, 20, TJ, 17 and Erica, 16.  They all have a great sense of humour so I decided this basket would be perfect for them!  So what goes into it?
 
I included the following: 
2 Snuggies - Gotta stay warm, you know!
Nathan's Griddle
Turbie Twist Towel
Pampered Toes Spa Gels
2 Ped Eggs
GreenBags
One-Touch Can Opener
Turbo Snake
Mighty Mend-It
Aqua-Globe
 
Originally I was going to do a camping theme, which is why these two items have tags I created... I'm faking the theme here, but I already created the two items, so used them.  I also found this great poem - The Infomercial Christmas - a parody of 'Twas the Night before Christmas, that I am adding to the box. 

Look it up, it's a good laugh!

 
The best thing about this basket . . . you can find As Seen on TV items EVERYWHERE.  All the major retailers have endcaps filled with these items.  Even my grocery store had a full section.  Of course this basket wouldn't be for everyone, but I know my Uncle's family will love it.  That is the best part of this whole tradition - putting a lot of thought into a really fun gift for the family.
 
The last part of our family tradition is an ornament exchange.  Each individual brings an ornament to the celebration.  We hang them on the tree and then going by age each person picks an ornament to bring home.  Last year we decided to turn it into a Yankee Swap and it was a blast. Anyone 10 and older had the chance of having their ornament swapped! I remember so much from that night, and I know my kids do too.  They have already started to ask when we are going to Aunt Reney's for the fun party!
 
We have other traditions as well, just among my immediate family.  Every Christmas Eve we go to the in-laws and eat a nice turkey dinner and open gifts.  Christmas morning is reserved for just my hubby and kids and we stay home all morning until noon, when we head to my parents house (6 houses down!) to eat brunch and open gifts with my family.  After a few hours we head back home so that the kids have the rest of the day to play.  My MIL and FIL come over and we make homemade pizzas and visit. 
 
I love Christmas time.  Getting together with family and friends, good food and drinks, the spirit of the Holiday and teaching my children about giving.  I wish you all a happy and safe Holiday Season!


Thanks Kim!  These family traditions sound like sooo much fun! 

Link up and tradition on!

If reading through subscription, click over here to add your own tradition post.

7 comments:

Sonia said...

omgosh, that is such a great idea (family gift). I'm going to suggest this to my mom.

Sarah said...

The turbie towel is actually really great! I wonder if any of the other stuff works too...

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

I absolutely love this idea!!!! I just read this whole post to my hubby outloud poor guy haha. Thanks for the great idea Kim!!

Hanna said...

Thanks again for having me Elizabeth!

Sarah - my daughter has a turbie towel and I must admit I liked it. I actually owned an Aqua globe and it worked pretty well - as long as you remember to refill it. And I know they are kinda dorkie looking, but I love Snuggies - but maybe that is because I'm always cold....

Jocelyn Christensen said...

That's adorable...and funny!

Papgena Made It said...

A big family indeed!!!
I have to keep this idea at hand for future use!!
Thanks!

Kellyruss5 said...

Do you have a link to print the "as seen..." label? I would love this idea for an auction fundraiser. thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails