Wednesday, November 17, 2010

twelve (plus) days of traditions: the Christmas keys

Welcome back to another day of traditions.  I have two for you today, so come back for the second one this evening . . . there's a surprise in it for you.  But first, I'm excited that Jerri from Simply Sweet Home is willing to share one of her family's cherished traditions with us. 

Hello Twelve Crafts Till Christmas Readers! My name is Jerri, and I'm from the blog Simply Sweet Home
My blog features recipes, craft projects, decor, product reviews, and giveaways.  I also host a weekly linky party called Friday Favorites where readers can link up their favorite posts of the week. And in December I'm hosting my second Holly Bloggy Christmas.  It's 5 fun days of linky parties with 5 great hostesses and 15 fabulous prizes!

I want to thank Elizabeth for having me as a guest on her blog today and for putting this great event together.  Hope you all enjoy my post!

My favorite Christmas activity is decorating the tree. I always get excited to unpack all my favorite ornaments and create an adorably festive work of Christmas art!

A couple of years ago my aunt gave me a lovely ornament set called The Christmas Keys.  The set included three keys.  And we got instructions explaining the meaning behind each key and telling us where each key should be placed on the tree.  This is such a wonderful Tree Trimming Tradition!  It gives you the chance to pause for a minute and consider the real meaning behind Christmas as you decorate with your family.

Today I'll be sharing the three keys so that you can make your own and replicate this tradition in your home this year.


The first  is the Shepherd's Key. It is to be hung on a low branch because Christ was born among the lowly - born beside the shepherds and the sheep.

The second is the Magi's Key.  It is to be hung on a branch near the top of the tree - near the star, because the Magi followed the star to find the Light.


The third is the Christ Key.  It is to be hung on a branch in the center of the tree - because Christ hung in the center - between you and me.  And that is the key to Christmas.



To replicate this tradition in your home, simply purchase three keys.  You should be able to find something cute on etsy or in your local craft store.  Then add some ribbon to hang them by.  Copy the descriptions for each key.  And recite them upon hanging your keys on the tree. 

We always hang the keys last, but if you have small kids you may want to do this first so that you're sure to have their attention. To make it more fun, give each of your kids a key and let them have a turn at hanging a key on the tree as you read the descriptions.  Or if you're kids are old enough to read, let them read aloud to the family about each key as the keys are hung on the tree.  Either way you choose to do it, this tradition is a great way to remind your family about the true meaning to Christmas!

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a joyous holiday season!
Photobucket

Wow!  Thanks so much Jerri!  I have never heard of that tradition before.  What a wonderfully simple way to teach children the meaning of Christmas.

Tradition on!

7 comments:

Julie said...

I LOVE this tradition. I'm going to replicate it as a gift for a sweet friend...who is my secret prayer partner at church. I think we'll try it as well. With fairly young children, we are always looking for new things that we can do with them during the holiday season. Thanks :)

Ami Allison said...

OH that is a wonderful tradition! It would be perfect to start now. Alie is at the "sponge" age! It's amazing to see what she's learned and to see her curious lil brain at work!

marie said...

What a wonderful idea! I am going to try this. thanks for sharing.
Marie

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

This is very sweet! I love that idea. And so easy to do! :)

Amanda @ Sew Retro, So You said...

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful and inspirational tradition. I shall definitely be adding this one for my own family this year. I think the keys would make a truly wonderful and thoughtful gift as it would not only remind the recipient of the real meaning of Christmas which is often neglected or forgotten but remind them of the giver.

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

I'm so happy everyone enjoyed my tradition post!

Thanks again for having me on your blog, Elizabeth!

Jocelyn Christensen said...

i really like this...thanks for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails