Monday, November 15, 2010

twelve (plus) days of traditions

Family traditions . . . I still remember decorating cookies with my mom, making salt dough ornaments as a family, going to worship services and opening my stocking.  These were just a few of our family traditions around the holidays. 

What are some of your favorite traditions from the past and the present?  What are traditions you would like to start?  This is what we'll be focusing on together during the next three weeks during . . . twelve (plus) days of traditions



 
Twelve (plus) days of traditions will include:
~a wonderful guest blogger every weekday sharing their own traditions with us
~a three-week linky party that will let you share your own traditions 
~a few surprises (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) throughout the three-week event

So . . . start writing up your own traditions posts to add to the linky below.  You can show off a favorite recipe, a custom, a book, decorations, etc.  You can tell us about a party you throw every year, a song you listen, a book you read to your kids or grandkids, etc.   

Also, I realize that the button looks very "Christmasy".  Christmas is the holiday that I celebrate.  However, I have friends who celebrate Hanukkah, Kwanza and/or certain combinations of those holidays.  I think that it is good to share our varied stories and traditions, so please know that any and all holiday traditions are welcome.  This is a great way to learn from one another as well.

And don't forget to grab the button to add a little tradition-cheer to your blog.  






 

Come back tonight at 5 PM (CST) for our first guest post from Jocelyn of We Talk of Christ.

Tradition on! 
~Alright, that's not really a phrase, but I'm making it one.  It's my blog, I can do that if I want to! ;)

If reading through subscription, click over here to add your own tradition post.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, I love the topic of family traditions! How fun. Looking forward to reading about everyone's Holiday memories and memories in the making!

mhairi said...

My favourite Christmas traditions are reading Charles Dickens "A Christmas Carol" reading one chapter until Christmas Eve. The other is taking down the tree on the 6th of January and finding the 'little Christmas' present that Father Christmas had left there to appear as we take off the decorations.

Colette said...

What a fun idea! Thanks for inviting me over to link up... I'll check back to see all the other fun ideas as the party continues.

~Colette

Susan C. said...

Love this topic. I am always interested to hear other peoples fun traditions. One we do is we wrap 24 Christmas books before Dec. Then starting Dec 1st every night my boys take turns unwrapping one book and we read it before bed. Of course the last book we unwrap is The Night Before Christmas. My boys love doing this.

Pamela said...

I'm going to love reading others traditions at Christmas. Thank you for inviting me to link. I'll enjoy joining in the fun.

Ryder Royalty said...

We have two BIG traditions around here. One...is each child receives only 3 presents from mom and dad. Jesus got 3 gifts from the Magi...so why should my kids get any more? We want to keep the focus on Christ...after all...it is HIS birthday! And we always GIVE 3 gifts away...usually Operation Shoebox (Samaritan's purse).

Second, we ALWAYS read the nativity story from the Bible while we set up our nativity. The kids put the figurines out as they enter the story. My parents did this with me and we continue it with our children. My husband likes to leave Baby Jesus hidden until Christmas Eve after the kids go to bed. He then adds Baby Jesus to the manger scene because that is when He was born! That's when HE entered the scene!

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

Thanks for hosting. Great idea. I signed up. Don’t miss the give-a-ways, linky party and Bavarian Christmas starting 26 Nov! http://dobermans-by-the-sea.blogspot.com/

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

Hi Elizabeth, sorry, I'm a little late in posting....I've been soooo busy. Come by check it out when you get a chance:

http://bubblegumandducttape.blogspot.com/2010/12/christmas-traditions.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails