Wednesday, July 21, 2010

felt haircessories how to

Felt anyone? 

I have a superabundance of felt.  I'm not sure how I acquired so much, but I think I may have to make every single craft till Christmas that I have left out of felt just to put a dent in my supply.  I was sitting in the middle of my felt pile the other night pondering felt and my sixth craft till Christmas - haircessories (another one of my made up words combining hair and accessories).  And it became quite obvious that I'm going to have to make a number of my haircessories out of felt.  And since I'm still working through my funk, I'm really glad that I chose haircessories for my sixth craft till Christmas because they are easy . . . at least the ones I make are easy since I'm all about easy crafts.


These no-sew felt-strip bows are so easy that they only require five things:
-scissors
-fabric glue
-barrettes and/or headbands
-embroidery thread

Hmmm . . . what else am I forgetting?

Oh, yes . . . felt!



Here's what you do:
1)  Cut 15 to 20 thin felt strips in various colors.  I used three colors and I varied the length of the strips, but I kept the width about the same for each strip - about 1/4 inch in width.

2)  Pull together all the strips BUT ONE (put this one aside for the next step) and tie very tightly with embroidery thread in the center of the felt strip bunch.

3)  Put fabric glue on the remaining strip, hold the top-side of the barrette to the felt bunch and the remaining felt strip around the embroidery thread and the top of the barrette.

4)  Hold firmly for a few minutes.  Put down and let dry for a while.  Done!

**If you are using this felt-strip bow with a headband similar to the use I used, simply wrap the remaining felt strip around the embroidery thread.  Let dry.  Then stick the headband through the middle of the felt bow.  Guess what?  You can change headbands easily by sliding this one out and sliding another one in.  Yippie!

Craft on!

I participate in these parties.

29 comments:

Sarah@Dolls And Daydreams said...

ooowww very fun! And looks quick and easy too!

Melissa said...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm yum - love the blue and green.

Funk-I know about Funk - forgot to take my Zoloft for three days running.

Melissa said...

Plus, I have sinus headache's happening this week.

Oh, am I spilling my 'sorry-for-myself' allover your blog?

Sorry!! ;)

Leslie said...

cute idea!!!

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Super cute idea. I'm actually working on some haircessories. I'm using a bunch of T-shirt scraps instead of felt, but I bet this would work. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

Kristin said...

Cute! I made a few flower clips for Lily the other day out of felt and they were so easy! I layered circles and flower shapes and used a button for the centers - then just glued to a lined alligator clip. I am going to keep your idea in mind for when Lily will wear a headband instead of play with it! :)

Amy said...

These remind me of fireworks...I love them. Like Kristin mentioned...felt flower clips are very easy...i have a small addiction to makeing them so my little girl has haircessories for every outfit. Thanks for sharing!!

Emily said...

Those are too fun!! I have a pile of felt waiting to be turned into some fantastic food. I'll have to make some hair accessories with the leftovers! :)
PS I saw you're comment over on my blog and yes, you should totally try dresses for the girls. I have found so many easy tutorials and patterns online, much simpler than the ones you purchase at the store! Craft on, er sew on! :)

Unknown said...

BLog hopping. Newest follower.

Lisa

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

these look so fun, if only I had a little girl, she could wear these to parties.

Kit said...

Very cute! I've been looking for some new crafts to try with my daughter. I really think she will love these.

Diana said...

What a great idea. I seem to have an abundance of felt, so this is a fantastic way to use some of it up. I already have orders in from the girls ;-)
Thanks for sharing
Diana

Ashley said...

You know I have everything available and waiting for me to do this project. They are very cute and I agree they remind me of fireworks . I'm following you from the Tuesday Tag-Along. I know,I've been trying to catch up with it ever since I first added myself 3 Tuesdays ago! I'm looking forward to reading your crafty ideas!
Ashley
Wooly World

Smita Srivastava said...

Thats amazing ... Loved ur post on homemade gum too !!!

- Smita
@http://littlefoodjunction.blogspot.com

Debra Hawkins said...

I think haircessories is a fantastic new word. I think most moms say it and don't even know it!

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

Those are so fun and a great way to use up scraps!

Julianna said...

Super cute! I may have to try this for my daughter!

Tara said...

Those are great! I am going to make some tomorrow. My girls will love them. Thanks for linking this up to Creative Share.

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Those are really fun! Great job!

anne maskellh said...

This idea and the no sew head band are great! ?Thanks for the ideas and the how-to's! You always come up with such wonderful things!

Lori said...

I love this...

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday at Life As Lori!

Unknown said...

Those are very cute!
We appreciate you joining us this week at Anything Related!
{Rebekah}

Kat @ Black Kats Design said...

What a fun idea!

Thanks for linking up to the “Cheap Thrills Thursday” party at Black Kats Design. I hope you had fun and will join in again next Thursday!

Kat
www.BlackKatsDesign.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Very cute! Thanks for sharing at It's Party Time Thursday@PonyTails&FishScales!

Zimms Zoo said...

I love this idea! I have been looking for ideas for the siblings to make for each other and this one will go on the list!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

These are so cute, and easy. Love the colors you used too!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Cute project! And looks pretty easy! (my favorite kind of project!)

Thanks for joining me for Friday Favorites!

Mari said...

OMG!! i love this!!! i saw it and made some for my daughter.. but i added a litle felt flower to it! but regardless it is suuuper cute!!! and super easy! thanks alot for posting this tutorial!!!
<3 Mari

Unknown said...

Love it. thank for sharing

Related Posts with Thumbnails