Tuesday, July 6, 2010

nothing to wear: t-shirt refashion


Lately, I have felt like I have nothing to wear.  It's not true!  I have a closet full of clothes . . . and it's not a small closet.  I can't possibly justify buying more clothes . . . or afford it if I could justify it.  So I'm doing something I've wanted to do for a LOOOOOONG time.  I'm making the most of what I already have and putting together a little t-shirt refashion with the many plain t-shirts in my closet.  But the first thing I have to ask myself is . . . How on earth did I acquire so many t-shirts?  I've thought hard about this, and here are my theories:
  1. A t-shirt fairy comes in the middle of the night and leaves them.
  2. They mate behind closed doors.
  3. In summer, my long sleeve shirts molt and become short-sleeve shirts.
  4. When my husband's shirts experience too much shrinkage, he puts them in my closet. 
If I have a few more minutes, I could think of more, but all I know is that I couldn't possibly have actually purchased that many plain, short-sleeved t-shirts.  Right?

Whatever the reason, I'm putting these t-shirts to use in the next few weeks to cure my I-have-nothing-to-wear dilemma.  

Here's my first refashion. 

Grab:
2 t-shirts, scissors, straight pins and your sewing machine

1)  Cut sleeves off the shirt you are using for your base shirt.  If you don't like the neckline, cut one in the shape you would prefer.

2)  Cut the bottom hem off the shirt you will be using for the ruffles.  Then cut four or five 3 inch strips off the shirt torso.

3)  Add a strip to one cut-off sleeve edge by folding ruffles one at a time and pinning them to the sleeve edge.  Half of the ruffled strip should be one the base shirt and half will be off the shirt.  Turn shirt inside out and sew with machine about 1/4 of an edge from the sleeve edge.

4)  Repeat with other sleeve.

5) Take another strip and attach it in the same manner to the neckline starting in the center of the back.  Ruffle the strip around one side of the neckline and down the front just off center.  Repeat with another strip on the opposite side.  Pin under each end.  Sew down the center of each strip.

**If you need to lengthen the strips, sew the ends of two strips together and simply fold the seam under in a ruffle so it doesn't show.

7)  Tada!  Your refashioned t-shirt! 

Now, I just hope that when I open my closet tomorrow morning, there aren't even more plain t-shirts inside.  Then I know something strange is going on in there when I'm not around.

Grab some of your old t-shirts and . . .

craft on!

p.s. The fonts on blogger are driving me nuts.  I can't find one I like.  They seem either too small or too big or too . . . I don't know.  I just know I don't like them.
make it wear it

46 comments:

Unknown said...

I love you for this! I have also been noticing that I have an obscene amount of plain, solid-color tshirts and contemplating recycling them. Once we get back from our vacation next week, I'm taking the scissors to them.

Kenzie said...

Love your shirt! I also love your t-shirt theories!

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

What a cute ruffly shirt! I love a great refashion. :) Super cute!

Erin said...

I absolutely love your blog. So I am passing on to you the Blog With Substance Award! You can check it out at http://makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com/2010/07/blog-with-substance-award.html

Thanks for all of your fantastic ideas!!!

Erica said...

I love it! I'm going to do it!

Anonymous said...

fabulous! this is precisely the "see it, make it" eye that i sensed you had - great job!!

the thrifty ba said...

coming from cheri..i so feel your pain and HATE myself for thinking i need more clothes! this is adorable!

Jennifer said...

This is really cute! I have a bunch of maternity tees that are going to go through the refashioning cycle when this (last) pregnancy is over!

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Love this. It's fun going shopping in your own closet. At first I was afraid to cut up anything because I don't have the best sewing skills and was afraid of ruining a good shirt. That I WASN'T wearing! So either I'd like it and wear it or it would continue to sit there.

Jami said...

you are amazing!!! That looks like high fashion! Smiles!!

Unknown said...

Elizabeth, I love this! You must wear this sometime when I'll see you; the pictures are great, but I want to see your handiwork up close. (And, how many t-shirts can I send over to you to have you do this for me?!) ;)

christina said...

love it! Thanks!

Robin Ange said...

Again this is awesome! You really should link up to my Upcycling linky party.

http://www.thetshirtdiaries.com/2010/07/upcycled-awesome-4_07.html

Home-Mom said...

new follower from just lu
I can't say I will attempt this but that is toooooo stinkin' cute!
I keep saying one day but that day needs to make it so I can make that ;)

Melissa said...

I saw a t-shirt refashion a bit like this when I was at the store today. It made me want to do this...

I like the colors you chose...

berg4 said...

I really like this!

Papgena Made It said...

well, i would like that your t-shirts go wild tonight so, tomorrow you would have to invent some more!!! ;) (and share with us, of course!)

Natalie said...

I SO love your blog and all of your craftiness!! Still hoping some of it will rub off on me ;)

Kit said...

Love this! I'm going to go through my t-shirts today! Thanks for the great tutorial! (Just found you through Fireflies and Jellybeans.)

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

Cute!! I hope you'll link up to Make IT Wear It today at TheTrainToCrazy.com

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

Now that is one cute shirt...so much nicer than a plain old t-shirt. I don't have many t-shirts like that, but I do have lots of scoop neck, sleeveless tees. Hmmmm...maybe I can make that work.

Vanessa said...

Beautiful work, I love the inventive recycling to make something new!

Chele said...

First time here and my word, this is awesome! All the other refashions never appealed to me cause I have long sleeve shirts I wanted to do something with. THIS will be perfect for me! Thanks :)
Michele

heather said...

This is a really cute t-shirt re-fashion. I bookmarked this page because I soo want to try this out. Mine will not be nearly as cute as yours, but I'm gonna try.

Rebekah Lindenmayer said...

This is SEW cute. I would love to try one of these someday! Great job.

Diana said...

Hey,, only just found your blog but love it already. Can't wait to read more!!

Love this idea, perfect for all those T.Shirts that get slung to the back of my daughters wardrobe;)

Diana

Karissa@Withourbest said...

You say anyone can craft... but look at you.. you are amazing!! Cute shirt!!

GREAT SITE!! I can't wait to explore more!! I am your newest FRIDAY follower!

Plz visit and follow at:
http://www.withourbest.com
-Karissa

Anonymous said...

I was looking at your wonderful t when you were commenting on my arbor! I am loving all the refashion t's I see around and really need to try and make one. I don't normally wear them but love them dolled up a bit like this!!

bee blessed
mary

Vintage Home said...

...very good idea!

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Sooo sweet ~ thank you for the wonderful tutorial !!

xoxo
Lori

Anonymous said...

That looks awesome! Thanks for linking up to It's Party Time Thursday@PonyTails&FishScales!

~So how's the kitty eye patch coming along...hehehe?!

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

What a great idea! It came out so cute!

Nicholette said...

So cute!!! I'm always saying I have nothing to wear when I open my closet. You've inspired me! Thanks for linking up!

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

Super super cute, love it!

Laura said...

This is beautiful!! I love it. Especially the colors...I love gray.

Amy said...

super cute, I would so wear that!!! thanks for linking up to "AP Tuesdays!"

Unknown said...

Thanks for helping us have another great Anything Related! ~Bridgette

BLJ Graves Studio said...

Adorable!!! I have about a million plain t-shirts too, I am so going to try this. :-)

Misty @Creative Itch said...

Adorable!! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

Rose :: FineCraftGuild.com said...

so coool that my readers would love to be able to find you and read about it!

do link it up at our weekly DIY linky tutorial party, which I just opened 5 minutes ago:
http://www.finecraftguild.com/diy-tutorial-linky-party-6/

If you hurry, you can possibly be the first to enter... ;0)

see you soon!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Great project! And such an improvement on the "old t-shirt."

Thanks for stopping by for Friday Favorites!

Suzanna said...

That is a great color combination!

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

I have been wanting to try some refashion too! Great job!

Unknown said...

Very cute! You should link up to my Style File-
http://life-n-reflection.blogspot.com/2010/07/denim-more-than-skinny-jeans.html

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Oh I like this one too! Super cute ruffles. I have a ton of tees that are screaming to be fashionably pretty like this! Thanks for the inspiration. Thanks so much for joining The Sunday Showcase - I greatly apprecite it! Hope you have a great week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Unknown said...

I love this! Adding it to the To-Make pile right away. Very cute.

Found you at Under the Table and Dreaming.

Related Posts with Thumbnails