Monday, July 19, 2010

tuesday's true confession: i got a pedicure


I confess that I need a moment for me.  I don't want to need it.  I want to do for others - make meals, put clothes away in drawers, provide for my family, play toys, give baths, read books, kiss boo-boos, answer every time someone says, "Mooooommy".  I want to do all this without needing a moment for me.  But I can't. 

And I also confess that I think that's okay.  It's okay to take 45 minutes to exercise, to have five minutes of quiet time in the bathroom with the door locked, to sit on the porch and sip tea watching the kids play instead of playing with them, to go to the grocery store alone, to get a manicure or pedicure . . . it's okay.  In fact, I confess that I think it's more than okay.  I think that these moments for me are the very moments that give me the energy to do all those other things for others.

So yesterday I did something that I've only done two times before in over three decades of life . . . I got a pedicure.  Well, I've actually gotten LOTS of pedicures . . . pedicures done by children five and under.  In fact, my current look below is courtesy of my two in-house beauty experts. 

I got my first professional pedicure the day before my wedding.  I hated it!  I got my second one two years ago because someone gave me a gift certificate.  I tolerated it.  I got my third one yesterday.  I . . . enjoyed . . . it!  I enjoyed sitting there . . . doing nothing for anyone.  I enjoyed a moment for me.

And my toes went from this . . . 

to this . . .

I'm not sure how I feel about the french pedicure look, but maybe it will grow on me over the next couple of days.

A month or so ago I read a post on another blog in which the writer lambasted women who don't keep there toes manicured and groomed.  I have to confess that I was pretty irritated with that.  To be honest, there are a couple hundred things on my to-do list above "get pedicure".  And to judge a woman based on her unmanicured toes completely dismisses the person she is and the things she does.  But for a brief moment this week I enjoyed some time for me.  I won't be doing this regularly.  And I can guarantee that in a week or less my toes will go back to looking unmanicure and ungroomed.  However, I will be enjoying a few more regular moments for me so that I can enjoy the rest of my days and weeks and months doing for others. 

When is the last time you took a moment  . . . a "me moment"?

I'm going to try something new today.  I'm going to invite you to confess too.  Over the course of the next week I encourage you to think about what you might like to confess . . . maybe you want to confess your own "me moment" or maybe you have something else to confess.  If you've been reading my own confessions over the course of the last few months you know that some are serious, some are sappy and some are silly.  Confess whatever you want . . . just try not to make it too sultry . . . if you know what I mean.  ;) 

Write up a post and link it below so that we can all join in.  If you don't have your own blog or don't want to take the time to write up a post, just comment below with your favorite "me moment" or true confession.  Maybe you don't want to, that's fine.  If no one links, that's okay too.  We are all busy, and we certainly don't need another thing on the to-do list. 

I've been fooling around with a possible new blog button, so I made this one quick as a test.  If you do participate in Tuesday's True Confession, don't feel obligated to link back or post the button.  You can if you want to, but I don't demand it.  ;)



 





  

17 comments:

Alicia said...

I've never had a pedicure.

Following from TTA!

Alicia

http://www.iamwickedcheap.com

momof3girls said...

Good for you!!!! I never fully appreciated a pedicure either until my life became full of "to do's" for other people. (Whom I love! Who I want to bless) however life is now, and we all need a little bit of TLC every now and then!

Sonia said...

i've never had a pedicure because I am EXTREMELY ticklish. Like, just moving toward my ticklish spots, makes me cringe. I know women who get pedicures at least twice a month. Hey, whatever floats your boat, but don't judge those who don't find that thing very important.

Lindseyj said...

I try to have "me moments" a few times a week. I think they're incredibly important. In fact, I'm off for one right now - a walk, by myself, with just my ipod. bliss :)

Jess and the boys said...

Hi there. I'm your newest follower from Tuesday Tag-Along.

I'd love for you to follow me back where you get the chance: http://giveawaysandlife.blogspot.com/

Thanks! :)

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Hope you don't mind...my link is more of a crafty one, but as I was taking the pics for it, you could see my toes...from my one and only pedicure, so it made me think of you, so I tacked on a little confession at the end.

Tonia Lee Smith said...

WOW, now that's what I call a makeover! Did you go to sleep in the chair while they worked on your feet?

Design It Chic said...

I am following you now thanks to Tuesday Tag-Along! It would be nice if you could share back the love on my blog! Happy Tuesday!

Bethany @ The Paper Pony said...

Okay, this may sound disgusting, but don't we all take a little longer than we need to in the bathroom just to hide out for a few alone moments? Or is it just me?

Larri said...

Your toes look pretty! :o) I fessed up about my candy stash, and linked up with you on my blog. Happy Tuesday! :o)

Kimberly said...

Hi! I am following you from the TTA. I would love to get a pedicure! I look forward to learning some crafts from you!
http://dearheartdesigns.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Good for you! We all deserve time to recharge our batteries - it's a bonus that you have pretty toes at the end of it.

Unknown said...

I love this idea and I am sure that I will have many future confessions. However, right now, I am still counting myself on vacation until my home recovers from the post-vacation luggage explosion. I guess I should confess how much I hate unpacking!

Unintentionally Unemployed said...

Hi - I'm not sure what to do (I'm a new blogger and it is late at night) but you can email me at funfaces@windstream.net I too, just got a pedicure...something I loved to do before I was laid off. I went to a beauty school and it was 1/3 of the cost of my previous salon. My blog is http://unintentionallyunemployed.blogspot.com Please come by - I could use some new blogging friends.

Rustown Mom said...

I treated myself to a salon pedicure just one - 1995, pregnant with baby #3. I thought it was going to be such a treat. I hated every minute of it. Maybe it was the fact that they had no electricity (so no a/c in Texas), or maybe it was the hot wax, which just about did me in...or maybe that I mucked them up by driving home afterwards, before they were totally dried...my feet were like sausages, ravaged by working 8 hour days on my feet, pitting edema, and relentless October heat. yes, it was October. from then on, I just do it myself. But hey, I can say I been there, done that.

M . Taha Khan said...

Excellent and very exciting site. Love to watch. Keep Rocking.Mascara

Poonam Lalwani said...

Great Post!
Thank you for posting such an excellent article. It helped me, and I love the topic.Manicure and Pedicure

Related Posts with Thumbnails