Tuesday, July 6, 2010

tuesday's true confession: don't call child protective services...PLEASE!

I woke up in the middle of the night to this, "Mommy, my tummy hurts.  I think I'm hungry."  In a sleepy stupor, I explained that we don't get snacks in the middle of the night.  Then in my best "mom-voice" I said, "This is why mommy wanted you to eat a few more bites of your fruit at dinner tonight."  I bent down to kiss her on the forehead and tuck her back into bed, and that was my first clue that the tummy ache was not really from hunger.  Her forehead was cold and clammy.  My "mom-voice" was instantly replaced with my "mom-radar".  My second clue happened two seconds later when she said, "I'm going to throw up!"  Huston we have a problem!  I whisked her into the bathroom, held her hair and rubbed her back for the opening ceremonies that began a long night of little sleep and lots of time in the bathroom.  

Now usually, on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday each week my kids spend the day with a wonderful woman from church who has an in-home daycare.  Last night's festivities earned my oldest daughter a ticket to stay home today which means I'm home as well. 

And before I make my confession this Tuesday, I need to state a disclaimer: 
I love my children dearly.  They are beautiful, wonderful, strong and amazing.  I don't ever WANT anything bad to happen to them and I don't HOPE that they get sick.

But I confess that I secretly LOVE when ONE of them is sick - not the kind of sick where they can barely lift their heads off the pillow for days and days but the kind of sick that they have to stay home but aren't miserable.  (I don't, however, secretly love when both of them are sick at the same time because that just turns into mass chaos.)  I love mildly sick days because we have a day for just the two of us at home together.  Once one child becomes two children, there is rarely one-on-one time with either child.  I miss one-on-one time to just be together and hear the heart and mind of one child at a time.    

My daughter was feeling pretty good by morning - probably because there was not a morsel of anything left inside of her body.  And so far our sick-day has been filled with playing a dozen games of Uno and Go Fish, coloring Strawberry Shortcake pages in the coloring book and snuggling on the couch while watching Pipi Longstocking.  At one point, my daughter said, "Mommy, it's just me and you today.  This is so comfy and cozy!" 

And that's why I'm confessing that I secretly LOVE when one of my children is sick!   

Please don't call child protective services on me!

Oh . . . and she's already planning a craft we're going to do together this afternoon!  If she can think of crafts even after being sick all night, I'm definitely inspired in my sleepy state to . . .

craft on! 

19 comments:

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

I'm glad she's feeling better, and I promise I won't call CPS :) I totally understand what you describe...there was something special about those days when you could do things you didn't do on normal days.

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way! They are always so loving and cuddly when they are sick. It's hard when they don't need you as much anymore. Those sick days are precious and there's nothing wrong with enjoying the occasional one when they happen :) I'm glad she's feeling better now!

berg4 said...

enjoy the day

Unknown said...

sweet stuff!

i often contemplate how I will someday sneak in one-on-one time when i have more than one kid.

enjoy your day!

Sylvia

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

I know, it's hard to find the time for one on one. She's making plans to craft! sounds like she's feeling better already.

Katie Olthoff said...

Aw, that's very sweet! I'll probably feel that way in a few years, too. I know my hubby felt that way when he had a "real" job with sick leave. I had used all mine for maternity leave, so he'd stay home with Adam. It was great. Now, he farms, so there are no "sick days" for him.

Jenn said...

I love your blog! And this is so sweet. I remember once I had a sick day like that in the winter time, and by afternoon, my mother and I were out on the back stoop making mini snowmen. It's one of my most favorite memories with my Mom. :)

Kim said...

Aww, I've been there before. Its kinda nice when they're home for one on one time, get the snuggles in.

Anyway, found you on tag along tuesday! Hope you'll follow me back. :)

Papgena Made It said...

Hope she is feeling better!!
Enjoy your day! I totally understand what you mean!

Michelle said...

Aw, I hope she continues to feel better. One on one time is so nice. I also wanted to let you know that I have given you a blog award! Please come by my site to pick it up-

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

I remember that same feeling when my kids were young. As long as they weren't seriously ill, there was something quite special about a sick day. Same for me when I was a kid, and wow, that was a long time ago. LOL! Hey, congratulations are in order as you have hit 300 followers! I've enjoyed watching your number grow very quickly just in the last couple of months! It will grow even faster as you....craft on! Such a clever line. :-)

Unknown said...

hahaha... you know... they say that there are some parents who make their children sick!

I'm sure you would never do that!! ;)

Good confession!

Anonymous said...

I hope she feels better soon! So she takes after Mommy with her crafting love huh?!

Unknown said...

I had a similar(ish) experience today, seeing my son flip out (screaming crying fit) after seeing me when I'd been gone all day. He'd been fine for daddy, but, boy, was he mad that I had been gone! Wonderful being the mommy :)

Kenzie said...

Sorry she is sick, but isn't it nice to get some quiet time with them? Hope she is feeling better!

Melissa said...

Nah - I won't call...

I love her response - to being alone with you...you must be a great Mom.

Kitschalicious said...

I totally undestand being home when they're sick. Although I stopped working after my youngest was born, when my oldest ran a fever, I was like "Yeah! Sick Day!" HAHA! But that's because of the quality, quiet time I had with him, so totally understandable! Glad she's feeling better!

janimal said...

My little girl was sick recently and we spent the day snuggling, sleeping, and watching her favorite TV show (Yo Gabba Gabba). I don't want her to not feel well but all that snuggle time was so delicious. I am TOTALLY on the same page with you on this one!

Julianna said...

I totally understand what you mean. I too secretly enjoy having that one on one time with my kids when I have to take one to the doctor's or spend the day home with them. When all they want is Mama it feels good to be needed!

Related Posts with Thumbnails