Friday, July 9, 2010

nothing to wear? super easy zigzag refashion

So, you've been thinking of getting into the world of refashioning the plethora of plain t-shirts in your closet, but you're too chicken to make that first cut. 

Your mind is swimming with questions:
  • What if I ruin the shirt? 
  • What if it looks stupid and people laugh at me? 
  • What if I need a plain lilac shirt in a few months, but I refashioned it and it's no longer plain?
  • What if my dog eats my homework?  Oh . . . wait, that excuse doesn't quite work for this list.
Let me ask you this: Are you wearing that shirt now?  Chances are you aren't. 

So you have two choices:
1) Don't wear it as it is now and let it sit in your closet OR
2) You try to make it something you would wear.

If you don't like, oh well . . . you weren't wearing it anyway.

This very simple and quick tutorial is PERFECT for getting your feet wet in the world of t-shirt refashioning.  And with the three vertical lines in the center of your torso, it's incredibly flattering too.  Perfect for wearing under an open sweater or blazer.  You can't get much better than that.  This shirt is inpired by the store Black and White . . . a story I love to wander through, but can't justify buying something from.  Now, I have my own Black and White refashion for nothing!  Woohoo!


The Super Easy Zigzag Refashion

Here's what you need:
-2 shirts (1 base shirt and 1 shirt you are willing to cut up)
-other sewing stuff - scissors, straight pins, sewing machine

No kidding . . . that's it!


Here's what you do:
1)  Cut 3 one inch strips of fabric from the bottom of the shirt.  Then cut open the strips so that each strip is one long piece rather than a loop.  

2)  Find the exact center of the base shirt, fold the end of the fabric strip underneath and start pinning one long strip of fabric in a zigzag motion down the center of the shirt.  You can start wherever you want from the neckline.  I used a scoop necked t-shirt as the base, so I started about 1 inch from the top of the shirt neckline.  Zigzag that strip all the way down to just below where your belly button would be.   

3)  Do the same thing on both sides of the center strip only start a little bit lower and end a little but lower. 

4)  Sew down the center of each zigzag from top to bottom.  (Don't forget to back stitch at the top and bottom of each zigzag strip.)

Done?  Yes, done!  Can you believe it?  You refashioned your first t-shirt!  Wear alone for an elongating look or pair with an open jacket/sweater/etc.

Congratulations!  Now you have the confidence to dig into that t-shirt pile and try your own unique creations and . . .

craft on!

31 comments:

Kenzie said...

So cute! I think you are addicted to refashioning shirts! Want to come to my house? I could just mail everything to you if that is easier! :)

Unknown said...

Seriously, you are reading my mind... except that I do wear my plain colored shirts. But every time I do I think, "There must be something simple/fast/easy I can do to this oh-so-boring shirt so that I don't hate wearing it." I love this refashion. I especially love that it doesn't involve ruffles (like I originally thought it did) because ruffles and I only get along about 50% of the time.

berg4 said...

Love this look - great instructions!

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Love it! Pretty much all my T-shirts are plain. Maybe I'll try this. It would be great on a kids shirt too, especially to cover up a stain down the middle.

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

Ok - this one is Awesome! I love the zigzags and the stripes. And I love the way it looks under the little jacket! Perfect! Look - you're even making me use a million exclamation points! ;)

Anonymous said...

Love it....you go girl!

Renée said...

Very fun and festive for any summer occasion! Good luck with your Christmas goals....

Leslie said...

you are so clever...this one looks so fun

Holly Lefevre said...

Fabulous...great point about "are your wearing the shirt now?"

I love your style!

Papgena Made It said...

love the refashion!
I'm so glad that your t-shirts get wild!!! ;)

Jenn said...

How very cute! I so wish I could sew.

I tried to change my profile to allow your comments, but I don't know where I'm supposed to go. Can you help?

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

You are on a roll! I love this one ( of course I do...it's black and white...you mean there are other colors?)

Julie said...

This is just adorable. I think I have that exact white shirt. Found you at All Things Related!

Fowl Single File said...

I love it! I loved it even more when I saw that you used an old shirt to make the zig zags!

memakingdo said...

I love it adorable!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

What a fun idea!

Unknown said...

so so so cute! i reallly need to figure out the whole sewing thing :(

Misty @Creative Itch said...

Ooooh, I LOVE this refashion! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

McKell said...

this is so cute & fun! totally doing this :)
thanks for sharing!

*come take a loosky at my blog too if you'd like.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

You are funny - this is a perfect refashion! Thanks!

anne maskell said...

Love it! I have just the top to use!

mle said...

Your refashioned shirt is really great! Love the zig-zags!!

Brianna! said...

ahh this is SO precious
I want to do this SO bad:)

Thanks SO super much for sharing
youre a doll
and quite clever if I must say so:)

xoxo
bB

Anonymous said...

You and your awesome shirt repurposings....love 'em! Thanks for sharing at It's Party Time Thursday @PonyTails&FishScales!

Unknown said...

love this! thank you for linking up to MMM...I am going to feature you next Monday :)

vintagesue said...

love your craft zig zag project. looks like one i can actually do!!!!! it is awesome. thanks for sharing.
sue

cb said...

Very neat! Thanks for sharing!

Many Thanks,
Crystal

Sweetly Fallen
Twitter: http://twitter.com/SweetlyFallen
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweetly-Fallen/135792896440519

Rebekah Lindenmayer said...

yay, love the zig love the zag! like a ruffle but more edgy, awesome!

Cecily said...

Cute and easy! Love it!

Anonymous said...

What a cool project!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Love the zig zag pattern. So unique and adorable! Looks fantastic. I have yet to attempt clothing but you make it look so easy to spruce up a shirt I may have to try! Thanks so much for joining The Sunday Showcase - I greatly apprecite it! Hope you have a great week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Related Posts with Thumbnails