Tuesday, July 13, 2010

tuesday's true confession: the elephant in the room

******
There's an elephant in the room.

Have you ever heard this phrase?

In this case, there's an elephant in my blog.  A few of you have dared to name it and ask me about it.  And most of you probably haven't noticed.  But I've noticed it and I've been ignoring it . . . no, I've been avoiding it! 

After all, this is supposed to be a blog about my journey in making all my girls' Christmas presents - a different present/craft for both girls every month for twelve months.  Here's a rundown of the crafts so far:
  • January - crayon rolls
  • February - Molly Monkeys
  • March - monogrammed wall art for their rooms
  • April - felt food
  • May - pretend and play mail carrier sets
  • June - pillow buddies
  • July - ....................
Yep, that's it . . . that's the elephant.  I've announced nothing and done absolutely less than nothing for my sixth craft in July.  There . . . I've said it.  I've named it . . . no more elephant in the room that goes ignored and avoided.  

And here's the reason . . . I confess that I'm . . . well, I'm not sure what to call IT.  I'm in a funk.  I'm blue.  I'm blah.  I'm not myself.  

I'm not sure when IT started.  I can't pinpoint why IT started.  But IT'S here!  IT has impacted my eating, my sleeping, my parenting, my exercising, my crafting . . . my living.  I want to pretend IT hasn't, but IT has. 

So . . . there you go . . . there IT is.  I've named IT.  I've confessed IT.  No more elephant lurking in the corner that I avoid looking at. 

I might still get to work on my sixth craft till Christmas yet this month, but I'm not pressuring myself to or promising you that I will.  I'll still be posting crafts and tutorials that I'm working on that are unrelated to July's craft till Christmas though but even those might be less than normal. 

I do so appreciate each one of you who reads, lurks, comments or just passes through, and I would love for you to continue to do so even if I'm not myself for a little while.  

Craft on!

24 comments:

Kim said...

I totally get that way too sometimes. It's understandable. Everyone needs a break.

Amy said...

First of all I like your comment disclaimer...I totally agree.
Second, I have only been following your blog for a short while and must confess I don't know you well unough to tell if you are in a funk...but I feel the same way. I have been really busy lately, but with no real drive. I hope you overcome IT and so do I. Have a great day tomorrow!!!

Debra Hawkins said...

I think you were right when you asked if it was something in the water. I totally know how you feel. Don't stress it. I have months where I don't touch my sewing machine and then months were I am sewing constantly. I look forward to see the project, whatever it is going to be and whenever you make it.

Rachel Sue said...

I totally get it. I crafted my way through Nov. and Dec. last year then put my sewing machine away for 6 months. It was a good thing, because by the time I pulled it back out again, I actually wanted to sew!

Kenzie said...

I know where you are coming from! I hope you feel better soon! And you are so much more done from Christmas than I do that I am horribly jealous! Maybe you needed to take a break! I think that's what it has to be! Have a great night!

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

I totally understand! I think I was in a funk for about 4 years - crafting wise. Don't worry, we'll hang in there with you. That's what friends are for. :)

Bethany @ The Paper Pony said...

We call it having the "blahs" around here. I totally understand. Hows about you buy everyone a coloring book and some crayons and tie them together with some ribbon, or yarn, or string, or whatever and call July a done deal! Feel better soon. The new season of Psych starts tomorrow! That always makes me feel better.

Papgena Made It said...

I don't think that you should worry too much. Does relly have to be 12 presents, can't be 11?
Besides, if you are doing something else, it will increases your inspiration. Even if you are doing nothing your inspiration increases! really!
It works for me! :D

Meghan said...

I understand all about what you are saying. I, too, have been blue, blah etc & I take medication! Ha! So not helping.

Your funk will break...I promise. In the meantime, it's ok. Do 11 crafts or do 9. Double up one month. All is good sister!

(((HUGS)))

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Rest assured that even your "in a funk" self is pretty awesome. So...just so you know...you linked to me in your bubble gum post and on Monday I got nearly 800 hits. How are you DOING this!? Amazing. I am assuming it was all traffic from your site, because where else?

Katie Olthoff said...

Ugh. I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I go through these "funks." But I wanted to let you know that your crafts are beautful and your kiddos will be so excited at Christmas!

Unknown said...

sending warm wishes your way!
xoxo

Sylvia

Sofia L said...

That happens to me all the time. I will craft, quilt, create, work and then all of sudden stop for no reason. It's like I hit a wall and until something inspires me I just don't do anything for a little while. At least you still do little things here or there. I stop completely. Part of the reason I follow craft blogs is so that I can find something to get me back to work. Good luck!!

Breathing In Grace said...

Please know that I know exactly what you're going thru. I did a blog post on my own problem a few weeks ago that might help you....
http://www.jeremiah-2911.com/2010/07/thankful-thursday.html
Hope you feel better soon....take your time....lean on HIM!!
Hope you have a blessed day!

Rachel said...

I know the feeling! I hope it passes soon for you and don't pressure yourself it only makes things worse :0)

Melissa said...

Been there and will be there again. I understand.

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

I've been there, too and totally understand. Sometimes one just has to step back and say "whoa!" Take time to rest and refresh, lots of it and all your readers and friends will still be there for you. :-)

Quimby said...

Sorry to hear you're in a funk. I hope it passes soon. Crafting's often like that with me; sometimes it's fun and sometimes it's just another chore I really don't want to do . . .

Larri said...

You just need a little inspiration to get going again. I've been there too. I cannot count the number of times I've lost my desire to sew. Try stitching up an EyeSpy Bag. They're quick and easy! Happy Sewing...um, when you feel up to it. :o)

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

If it helps, I'm starting a new sew along, come check it out at TheTrainToCrazy.com!

Michelle said...

Ah yes, it's perfectly fine to take a much needed break and wait for inspiration to hit once again. I could not agree more.

Oh, by the way just fyi, I'll be mentioning your bubble gum making tutorial and giveaway in my post tomorrow. I LOVE that idea so much-

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

That's the problem with creative blogging... it's really difficult to constantly be creative! Hope inspiration hits soon. :)

Michelle said...

Oh and my two are really into puppets right now, have you thought about making some totally adorable hand puppets for Christmas?

valentinegirl said...

What about pj pants? I have seen a great tutorial for making your own pattern by cutting around a pair that you already own (I am so going to try this one!)

http://handmademommy.blogspot.com/2009/10/15-minute-jammy-pants.html

You could even make matching tshirts by finding a matching color t shirt and adding a freezer paper stencil or applique. And that would count as another 2 crafts down!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails