Sunday, July 4, 2010

sunday kids' craft: fresh fruit freats

My oldest daughter has been asking me for weeks to make fresh fruit freats (that's my made up name for frozen treats).  We experimented with these last summer because they fit my criteria for cooking with kids.  What are my criteria for cooking with kids?  Well, I'm glad you asked!  Anything I do with my children in the kitchen must be:

1) Messy
2) Stain clothing
3) Messy
4) Fun
Oh and . . .
5) Messy

Not the criteria you were expecting . . . right?

Well, I guess these aren't my cooking-with-kids criteria so much as they are the four things that seem to happen anytime I try to cook with my kids.  We make a crazy mess - i.e. when we made our own chewing gum.  We stain our clothing.  And we have a ton of fun! 

Now, I'm going to be honest, it's not in my nature to like making messes or stains on clothing.  But when I hear the giggles and see the smiles that result from these messy stains, I can't help but feel as happy as they do.  

So . . . I promised my oldest daughter that on the 4th of July we would make our first batch of fresh fruit freats.  We made four popsicles and two dozen ice cubes.  

Grab the following crafty ingredients or a variation and make your own freats:
-3 to 4 cups of fresh fruit (washed and cut up)
-2 cups of orange juice or white grape juice (White grape juice will make sweeter freats and OJ freats are a little tart.)

 
1)  Frist things first . . . scrub those hands.  This craftipe (ooo . . . I just invented a new word for recipe and craft!) is hands-on - literally.

2)  Divide your bowl of cut up fruit putting 3/4 of the fruit in one bowl and leaving 1/4 of the fruit in the other bowl. 

3)  This is the fun part . . . start squashing.  That's right . . . smash, squeeze, pound - whatever it takes to make smashed fruit.

4) Mix juice and smashed fruit.

5) Pour juice/fruit mixture into popsicle molds and/or ice cube tray.  (We used a mini-muffin tin because, oddly, I could not find our ice cube trays anywhere.  I also couldn't find one of the popsicle tops.  Where is everything going in our house?)

6) Put a few pieces of the unmashed cut-up fruit into each popsicle mold and/or ice cube mold.

7) Cover molds and ice cube tray (or mini-muffin tin) with plastic wrap and freeze.

**To easily remove ice cubes from tray dip the bottom of the tray in a sink of warm water for a few seconds.

My girls drink plain old fashioned water pretty well, but they drink it even better with a few of these ice cubes plopped into the glass.  Or use these ice cubes in a pitcher of lemonade, sangria or punch for a party or shower. 

Delicious and pretty!

Craft on!  

24 comments:

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

My mouth is watering...these look yummy!

Pam said...

Love the idea of fruity ice cubes to flavor water. Thanks for the recipe! Following along. Pam @ Sallygoodin

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

YUM... what a fun and health snack for the kiddos during the summer.

Papgena Made It said...

That's seem messy, indeed!!! :)
I usually make fruit popsicle, never tried the ice cube's idea!

anne maskell said...

This is a great idea, the combo's are endless! Your helpers are adorable. Thank so much for the idea! I visiting with keeping it simple, hope you visit me too.

Kenzie said...

Love the Popsicles! Looks like the kids had fun squishing!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Great..my four year old would love this. We did do yogurt with blueberries last week.
Janette

Creative Flair said...

Will have to try this with my boys. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Ooh, I'm loving this craftipe! We will definitely be making freats at our house.

Aubree Cherie said...

These look so tasty! What a fun way to get the kids in the kitchen too. I used to love making fruit pops with mom. You're are definitely healthier than the ones I remember making though :)

~Aubree Cherie

chris said...

Yum. We love to make frozen treats at our house, too.

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst said...

Great idea for getting kids to eat some fruit! I imagine these are so nice and refreshing in summertime!

Shanna Brooks said...

Hi. I am definitely going to make this with my children.I am your newest follower! I would like to invite you to visit my new blog at http://www.mommiesandbeyond.com/
Thank-you!

Katie said...

Such a great idea!

Joy@Thrifty Parsonage Living said...

They look very good and refreshing. I wish I could have one now as we are in 90 degree heat!

Rose :: FineCraftGuild.com said...

love this summery idea
healthy and reallll gooood
also for adults ;-)

origa-me said...

The grandkids will appreciate these, thanks for the idea! Carole

Katie said...

I want some of these for myself, nevermind the kid!! Thanks for sharing!

Kelley said...

great idea...thank you for sharing =)

Anonymous said...

Oh yum....my kids would love this but not my kitchen. I just cringe when they make messes but let it be because I know it's fun and they are having a blast and they are kids :o). I'm thinking this is an awesome outside thing in my house! Thanks for sharing at It's Party Time Thursday@PonyTails&FishScales!

Heidi said...

Oooh, these look yummy & fun! thanks for sharing!

Nicholette said...

I wish my kids would eat fruit at all... sigh. Maybe I'll try this with them, it would be great if it worked! Thanks for linking up!

Amy said...

i love the simplicity of this! I also love the idea of using muffin tins. Great size and a popsicle stick inserted when half frozen would be perfect. I featured you today, thank you for linking up to "AP Tuesdays"

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Homemade popscicles are the best, aren't they? These look great!

Thanks for stopping by for Friday Favorites!

Related Posts with Thumbnails