Saturday, July 17, 2010

sunday kids' craft: paintin' with puddin'

It's hot!  Not warm . . . HOT!  This isn't a new flash for most of the country, but I'm a heat wimp!  We live in a high-humidity area, so when the temp outside is 93 degrees, it feels more like 103 degrees.  It's the kind of hot that makes it hard to breath.  It's the kind of hot that makes me not want to put even a toe outside the door.  It's the kind of hot that's hot!  My kids, of course, are not heat wimps.  To them hot weather is an excuse to run in the sprinkler, go to the pool, splash in water buckets on the back porch.  

As I watched the weather report on Friday evening, I began formulating my plan to avoid going outside all weekend.  I knew I would have to bring out my best and brightest ideas to distract my children.  So . . . while they were snug in their beds, I began plotting at 10:15 on Friday evening.  Yes, I'm a devious mother! 

Unfortunately, the first full coherent sentence out of my oldest daughter's mouth on Saturday morning was, "Can we go to the pool today?"  She didn't even give me a chance.  She's THAT good!  Thankfully, it was only 7:30 AM, so I could easily deflect the question with, "The pool isn't open yet."  Then I quickly distracted her with the lure of breakfast.  At 9 AM while we were making forts out of the couch cushions, the dreaded question surfaced again, "Mommy, can we go to the pool today?" 

"The pool isn't open yet, but let's put on our swimsuits, lay out these fort blankets on the floor and pretend we are in the pool," I said in a really high-pitched voice hoping they would think that was exciting. 

Guess what?  They did!  We played in the "pool" - floaties, pool toys, life vests and all - for almost two hours.  Incredible! 

And when I could tell that their interest in our very dry blanket pool was growing thin, I had this little activity up my sleeve . . . paintin' with puddin' . . . and we did it in swimsuits to make it seem even more fun!  (Why does everything seem more fun to kids if they are wearing the swimsuits?)

The next time you are either avoiding the heat outside in the middle of summer or the cold outside in the middle of winter, pull out your almost-past-due-pudding that you know you won't use before it expires and start painting!

What you need:
-pudding in various colors
-milk
-leak-proof container, bowl and whisk
-wax paper
-tape
-paint brushes

What you do:
1) Make each color of pudding separately according to package directions but use 1/4 cup less milk than directed.  We only had two different colors.  We made one color with the quick-shake method in a leak-proof container.  My oldest daughter LOVED shaking that pudding.  We made the other color with the stir method because my youngest wanted to stir not shake.

2)  Let pudding set for about 5 minutes.

3)  While it's setting, put large sheets of wax paper on work surface and tape them down.

4)  Pour pudding into little bowls and begin finger painting or painting with a brush.  We finger painted first on one sheet and then put down a new sheet for painting with brushes.  Starting with finger painting helps them get the need to touch, squish and taste the pudding out of the way.

5)  When the paintings dry, the colors become even brighter and more vibrant.  (A word of advice . . . don't keep these around for more than a day in the summer unless you want to host an ant party in your house.)

Enjoy a wonderfully fun and messy (what else would you expect from me) activity that will keep you out of the sun on a day hot enough to fry eggs on the sidewalk . . .literally. 

Craft on!

18 comments:

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

How fun! and how cute of them to put on their swim suits to play in their "inside make believe pool". I think that they were having so much fun, they forgot about the pool. And what a great idea to paint with pudding, very cool. My boys would love that.

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

btw, your baby girls are adorable!

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

We used to do this all the time! Though we didn't think through the swimsuits - clever. ;)

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

How fun is this!!! I've never called it "painting" - just getting dirty! My kids would love this. Haven't done it in a long time. I will feature this next week! (You are funny! You have a great blog! Expect more traffic and followers, girl!!!)

Jocelyn Christensen said...

I was just telling Guy last night how he used to love finger painting with pudding when he was a baby-baby! He loved that story!

BTW - I think I was just so used to your profile photo, and I think your hair is lighter in that picture than the family one, but I probably have the same issue. I look different in every photo and my hair never looks the same from day to day!

Mike said...

Your blog has been recommended to us as a interviewee's favorite blog!
We would like to do an interview with you about your blog for Blog
Interviewer. We'd
like to give you the opportunity to
give us some insight on the "person behind the blog."
It would just take a few minutes of your time. The interview form can
be submitted online here Submit your interview.
Best regards,
Mike Thomas

Mike said...

Your blog has been recommended to us as a interviewee's favorite blog!
We would like to do an interview with you about your blog for Blog
Interviewer. We'd
like to give you the opportunity to
give us some insight on the "person behind the blog."
It would just take a few minutes of your time. The interview form can
be submitted online here Submit your interview.
Best regards,
Mike Thomas

Papgena Made It said...

seriouslly???
I'm a very dull mother!!!!
never thought of something like that!!!

Katie Olthoff said...

You're an Iowan???? I saw your fastco pudding and stopped dead in my tracks. Another Iowan? And a fareway fan to boot? YAY!

I'm north of Ames, and my dad is a fareway truck driver.

And on my 10th snow day this year (I'm a teacher) my then 18 month and I painted with fastco pudding.

The Pennington Point said...

What a cute idea! I actually have three "cans" of pudding that someone gave me a while back (why, I have no idea) and I didn't know what to do with them 'cuz they are so gross that none of the kids want to eat it. What a surprise it will be when one hot day I say, "Hey! Let's paint with those cans of pudding." LOL! Thanks! Lisa~

Judy Whatilivefor said...

We just painted with pudding last weekend and had a blast! I didn't use wax paper though and will have to keep that in mind next time!

Stefanie said...

Yummy fun!! I haven't done this in forever. In fact, I'm pretty sure my youngest never has. LOL

Ashlee Marie said...

What a fun idea! I'd love it if you'd join my tuesday link party (tomorrow)! http://imtopsyturvy.com

janimal said...

Totally cool idea.

Unknown said...

It's very humid here in Kentucky too! Ugh!
This is a great indoor project!
{Rebekah}

Kori said...

Ummm...I must live under a rock. It would appear that everyone knew about painting with pudding but me! Can't wait to try it! Solves the whole 2 year old eating the paint thing too :)

Anonymous said...

You are one brave individual....I'd have to hose my kitchen and table and kids down after this craft! I love it though as will my kiddoes once I get the courage to do it! Thanks for sharing at It's Party Time Thursday!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

What a neat idea! Looks like they had a great time! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

Related Posts with Thumbnails