Monday, July 5, 2010

monday's buttons - week 7



This week I have three buttons to show off that jump out in a sea of buttons because of their colors and quirkiness.  Check them out!  

Also, I've added a blog button linky page.  Although I try to go check out the blogs of every person who comments or follows, it's getting harder and harder for me to do that.  Usually, when I do a blog-check of a follower and/or commenter, I look to see if they have a button that I might like to feature in an upcoming Monday's Buttons post.  However, since it's getting harder to do that, I want to invite you to post your buttons on the linky page.  I will try to include one button that I like from the linky page every week. 

**I'm going to be a stinker about keeping this page to buttons only.  If you link up something other than a blog button, I will delete it.  Not because I don't like you or your blog . . . just because the point of a blog button linky page is to show off blog buttons.


Fireflies and Jellybeans  Six months ago when I started blogging, I really didn't get what following meant.  A friend had asked me to follow her blog about a year earlier, so I set up a google/blogger account to follow her blog, but I didn't actually ever read it.  (Sorry Grace!) One of the very first blogs I actually followed AND READ was Fireflies and Jellybeans.  Recently, Fawnda and Jeannine, F & J's authors, won a blog makeover.  (I have dreams of winning a blog makeover someday.)  The thing I LOVE most about their new button is that it incorporates a bit of the old blog banner with the F & J picture.  It's a new design that pays tribute to their old design. 

LOVE THAT!  

1) How would you describe your blog if you could only use five words?
Fun, Whimsical, DIY, Thrifty, Creative

2) How do you think your button reflects your blog?
I love that it is whimsical and fun! Just like our blog! I love the colors. Jeannine (my best friend and co-author) took the photos of the F & J so I love that is has a piece of her in it too!

3) Did you craft your own button or did you commission/inspire someone else to craft it? If you crafted it, what program/software did you use? If you inspired someone else to craft it for you, who?
Indiechicks design created the button and the look of my blog.

4) What qualities/characteristics do you think make for a good button?
-I like buttons to look like the blog it comes from... I like things that match! :)
-I think that the font should be readable... some times the font can get too small or too curly to read. {I know that I am guilty of this too}
-I mostly like the simple ones.

5) What inspires you to keep blogging?
I love the craft blog community! They are very supportive and fun! I also love the challenge of coming up with my next project. I try to be thrifty and green, the blog helps me get the motivation to actually make something from things that I already have! Basically I LOVE to blog and I think it is a great way to connect with others!


Megity's Handmade  Well, hello Megity's Handmade!  I came across this button last week, and I'm loving it.  Megan, the blog's mastermind, inspired someone to make this button for her, and I think it's the perfect color combo and funky, simple design.  I would never have thought to pair zigzags with a circle and a loopy handwriting font . . . which is why I'm probably not a blog designer.  Check out what Megan has to say about her button and her blog. 

1) How would you describe your blog to someone who hasn't read it yet?
I seem to always have a list of projects longer than anyone has time for in the day. Way longer! Before a project is close to being finished, I'm thinking of the next 12 things that I want to do. My blog is a hodgepodge of crafty endeavors, my Etsy shop, decor that I like and such.

2) Did you craft your button or did you commission someone else to craft it for you? If you crafted it, what program did you use? If someone else did, who?
I had my button made for me. I tried to do it myself, but it wasn't worth the time to me. I wanted to use the time that I had and get something crafted! Sweet Jenna from {q.a} design http://qadesigns.blogspot.com/ did my button and header for me.

3) What was the inspiration behind your button? What did you want it to say about you or your blog?
I wanted something fresh and light and clean. Just like the way that I want my home. I adore chevron pattern and my home is full of the blue and yellow combo. I also love that she made it circle so it stands out a bit more in a sea of other buttons.

4) What kind of buttons stick out to you when you are poking around in the blog-world?
Always something clean and not too fussy.

5) What inspires you to keep blogging?
I think what inspires me is that I enjoy making thing. Part of the fun of making things is the show and tell. It's an outlet for me as a mother of three. Three kids equal a lot of house work, all of the time. Nothing stays done for very long. I love having the pleasure of doing a project and having it stay completed. It's like an accomplishment!


Flamingo Toes  What?  That's the question I asked myself when this button first caught my eye.  What in the world is this blog Flamingo Toes about?  Hmmm . . . I'm a curious sort, so I had to find out.  I clicked on the button and found Beverly's blog.  Genius . . . name your blog something that makes people curious enough to click on a quirky cute button.  Read more. 

1) What is the inspiration behind your blog?
The inspiration behind my blog was to have a place to keep a record of the things I make, try new things, and get to know new friends. All of which I'm loving doing!

2) What does your button tell people to expect at your blog?
Well - I'm not sure how much my button tells people about my blog - other than I like flamingos. And I'm a little quirky. haha.

3) Did you craft your button? If so, what program did you use? If someone else crafted it for you, who?
I did make my button. I used Adobe Illustrator.

4) What do you think are important characteristics/features for people to keep in mind if they are thinking about adding a button to their blog?
I think a button needs to have your name of course, and also represent your blog image. Using the same colors, images - that sort of thing so that it all goes together.

5) What keeps you blogging?
Before I started blogging I was afraid I wouldn't be able to come up with any ideas or have anything to say - but I'm finding that the longer I do it, the more my brain is always buzzing with new ideas. I think it's like a muscle - gets stronger as you use it. And I'm sooo loving "meeting" new friends. Our little community is really full of some of the nicest people I've ever met.




Go check out the blogs behind the buttons.  Don't forget to say "HI!" and leave a little comment love!

Craft on!

4 comments:

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

Elizabeth thanks so much for featuring my button today! :) I'm off to check out Megan's site - I've never been there before! That's the fun thing about your post. It's a fun, different way to find new blogs. :)
Thanks again!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Elizabeth- thanks for the nice things you said about our blog! What a fun idea to show off buttons! :)

keep it up girl friend! :)

This Lil Piglet said...

Following you through Tuesday Tag Along. :)

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

Haha!! That was fun! Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails