Friday, July 2, 2010

accordion-style ribbon bracelet

This week I had one of those pinch-me-I'm-dreaming moments.  I had the opportunity to guest post on Tatertots and Jello!  I was filled with excitement and absolute panic . . . terror actually!  Tatertots and Jello is a blog I've been in awe of for quite sometime.  Jen, the blog's mastermind, is so wonderful kind and amazingly creative, so I have to admit that my brain completely froze in the anticipation of guest posting.  Usually my mind is swimming with crafty ideas.  I toss and turn in bed almost every night trying to make myself stop thinking about all the things I want to try to make, but the minute I found out I would be guest posting on TT & J, my mind was a COMPLETE BLANK!!!!!!  What a nightmare!


I FINALLY came up with this little idea . . .


The Soda Can Accordion-esque Ribbon Bracelet



As you know, if you've been around here for a while, I went through a small obsession with recycled cans during Fireflies and Jellybeans first Iron Crafter Challenge. 


(Here's my soda can fabric scrap bracelet and ring.) 

I led you to believe I was over my obsession with cans.  To be honest, it wasn't true.  I'm still as obsessed as I was a few weeks ago.  I just took my obsession underground - hiding it in my non-bloggy world.  Well, go dig out those soda cans ladies (and gents?) because here's another soda can bracelet to add to your personal or gift-giving jewelry collection. 

This is a basic version, but the possibilities are endless.  Just experiment with ribbon lengths and widths, ribbon colors, layering ribbon, etc.  If you don't know how to sew, use Modge Podge and sandwich soda can strips in between ribbon like the green and brown one below. 
Go check out the tutorial at Tatertots and Jello, be inspired to make your own and . . .

Craft on! 


make it wear it



36 comments:

chris said...

Such a fun idea. Congrats on so much fun stuff this week. What a thrill.

Kenzie said...

Congratulations of the guest post! It was perfect!

Sandra said...

You come up with this stuff yourself? Wow...No wonder you don't sleep, 'cause that would take alot of thinkin'...I will never make one of the bracelets, but I would LOVE if someone made one for me...hint hint...ok, I don't imagine we've reached that level in our friendship. I just came from http://www.iamjustlu.blogspot.com and she was raving about your and your blog, so here I am, so maybe you should make her a bracelet! :) You're terrific!

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

This is a super cute idea! I love that you've used materials that I have around and turned them into something ADORABLE! So creative - and how cool to guest post on Tater Tots and Jello - Love That Blog. :)

Simple Stitches AZ ~ Rachelle S. said...

Very cute bracelets! Thanks for sharing.

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

You are amazing. Like Forrest Gump: "That's all I have to say about that"

Mandy England said...

I like how you left the "please recycle" part of the can there :] Fun project- thanks for sharing!

Songberries said...

I found you from Tatertots and Jello! I love your bracelets. I'm following you now! I'm off to poke around for a while~
Stop by and visit me when you get a minute~
http://songberries.blogspot.com

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

That is so cute! My daughter would love to make those, I'm going to show her these! Thanks!

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Amazing...when I saw soda can...I was a little doubting but you made it so simple...and cute!!!

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

This is a great idea...love the gathered ribbon - you'd never be able to guess what's inside!

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Love the ruffled look on this one! Utilizing the can is very clever. So, what's next?

DesignTies said...

So clever!
Victoria @ DesignTies

Jami said...

That is such a smart idea! I'm going to share this with my friend who has a little Brownie troop!
Smiles!

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

Wow those are awesome!!! I've never seen them with a pop can before, genius!

Cecily said...

Super cute and great tutorial! Thanks!

Samantha said...

Wow. Great idea. And you say you're not an experienced crafter.

polwig said...

Those are so pretty and cool at the same time... great job. I am so glad to find this through all thingz related.

even-star said...

oh my!

Jenn @ Seeds on a Breeze said...

I saw this on It's So Very Cheri and was so intrigued. Great idea and love all of your cute ribbon!

Jenni said...

This is such a cool idea! Who knew soda cans could be used to make bracelets! Thanks for sharing with us!

Misty @Creative Itch said...

You always come up with the cutest ideas!! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst said...

Very ingenious, and so simple! :-) Love the ribbon that you chose. :-)

Robin Ange said...

Love this. You really should link up to my Upcycling linky party.

http://www.thetshirtdiaries.com/2010/07/upcycled-awesome-4_07.html

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

That's great! I hope you'll link up to Make It Wear It today at TheTrainToCrazy.com!

Staci J said...

I'm amazed at your creativity! This seriously blows my mind!! Great job! Visiting from justsewsassy.com

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

This is soo cool! I love it! :) I loved it on TT & J too! : )

Julie said...

Very cool idea!

thriftytickle said...

Super idea! Please come by and join my first ever link party Vintage Suitcase Friday!

Cindy Adkins said...

Wow--you are unbelievable!!! What a fantastic idea...and your designs are precious! Thank you for being such an inspiration.
Hugs,
Cindy

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Seriously these are GREAT. I can imagine you were nervous to guest blog over there, but you did an awesome job.

I would love it if you linked these up over at my Christmas in July party this week. Pretty please!! Haha.

I just think these would make GREAT gifts.

Love 'em.

Just Another Day in Paradise

thriftytickle said...

Thanks for linking up to Vintage Suitcase Friday!

Anonymous said...

So very cute! Awesome girly gift! Thanks for linking up to It's Party Time Thursday@PonyTails&FishScales!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

These are too cute! I love it!

I featured you here:
http://firefliesandjellybeans.blogspot.com/2010/07/sunday-spotlight-soys-35-favorites.html

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

These are all so cute! I love bracelets! I'll definitely have to check out the tutorial

Thanks for stopping by for Friday Favorites!

Kara Henry said...

I hope you don't mind, but I've been making these like crazy. I just posted a few on my blog, and I smocked some fabric first before hot gluing them (easier than mod podge with all the folds). And of course I linked back to you!

Anyway, you can check them out here if you'd like. Thanks for your brilliant ideas!

Related Posts with Thumbnails