Friday, October 22, 2010

decorating is definitely NOT my thing

Do you ever just look around your house and wished it looked totally different?

I do.

In fact, I'm doing that right now.

It seems like things that I didn't even notice yesterday are bothering the heck out of me today.  (It might be because I'm spending too much time on remodeling/designing blogs.)

For example, I have white wicker nightstands flanking both sides of our bed with a dark brown headboard.  These are the EXACT same white wicker nightstands that I had in my room in high school.  Who does that?  Who keeps the EXACT same nightstands from high school at the age of thirty-three?  Uhm . . . apparently, I do!

So here are the contenders for my new nightstands

this one

or this one:

or this one:

I like them all because of the dark wood and the brushed nickel drawer pulls.  I especially like the first one because the price is right.  I actually don't like the second one very much now that I've been looking at it for a few hours.  But the third one might be better because there is less dark wood involved in the design.  But I'm horrible at decorating . . . so here's my question: 

Would it look odd to have all that dark furniture in one room? 

The headboard is dark, the dresser and mirror frame is dark and the tall dresser is dark.  If I didn't go with matchy-matchy nightstands, what color/style of nightstand should I go with instead.  I obviously can't afford to change any of the other furniture, and the nightstands are the cheapest fix.  Just getting rid of those white wicker nightstands from the 80s would do wonders for the room!  But I tend to be too matchy-matchy in dressing and decorating.

As you can tell, I'm clueless!

The next thing I would like to change is the comforter, so I'm off to browse through those now . . . and a new piece of art on the wall would be fabulous!

Craft . . . err . . . decorate on!?

14 comments:

Annette W. said...

My thought is that you it's good to have matching furniture...but I stink at decorating too.

I like the first one best. :)

Liz said...

If you feel the furniture makes the room dark, you could brighten/lighten it with bedding, curtains and other bits and pieces.

kelly said...

do you have color on your walls? if not, i'd say no to the third one. no, it wouldn't look odd to have all dark furniture.

Julie said...

I've seen lots of dark brown/wood with light blue/teal blue combos. I love them...and if you don't like that, stick with the all brown. It's what YOU like. :)

Unknown said...

I am even more clueless than you. The only matching of my furniture is in that it is all hand-me-down! Someday I will buy furniture that matches...

Kellie said...

Not only is my nightstand the same one I used in high school...but all of the other furniture in my bedroom is also, even my "husbands" dresser ;) I don't think all dark furniture would be bad...just use light colored accessories to lighten up if it bothers you. Good luck!

Quimby said...

If you like the idea of adding some colour you could go really cheap and just spray-paint the white wicker your favourite colour. If it doesn't work you're only out a couple of bucks for the spray paint and if it does work you've saved yourself however-much you were going to spend on the nightstands.

Quimby said...

If you like the idea of adding some colour you could go really cheap and just spray-paint the white wicker your favourite colour. If it doesn't work you're only out a couple of bucks for the spray paint and if it does work you've saved yourself however-much you were going to spend on the nightstands.

Unknown said...

practically all of our furniture is from my room in high school or college, and handed down from my parents to us. Just now am I starting to decorate...and I kind of like the 2nd one, sorry. I like bigger nightstands, more storage space.

Cara@HomespunKitchen said...

Hey now, we still use the same nightstands that I had as a little girl, lol! My Grandpa made them, so I'm a bit partial to keeping them...

Cara

Katie Olthoff said...

Pictures please!

I'd pick a comforter first. Then, if you want to go with a different color, you could base it off that.

If I am mixing wood tones or painted and wood furniture, I try to evenly balance it around the room. So maybe if the white nightstands weren't the only white furniture in the room (maybe something at the foot of the bed or across from the foot of the bed) then it would look better.

I really think pictures would help!

Jansie said...

I like the first one the best too. And as someone else said, you can have all dark furniture and brighten with accessories. Which are easy to switch out when you get tired of those! :) And don't feel bad, I have some of the same furniture pieces from high school as well. I just don't care enough about decor to bother. But maybe one day it will hit me like it has hit you! Good luck!

Sarah@sweetpeaandjojo.blogspot.com said...

yes, I'd like to see a photo. My vote would be for number 2. I see lots of dust gathering on the bottom shelf of number 3.

And there is nothing wrong with old furniture! We have my grandparents old bedroom set. Oak with gold pulls. It's so sturdy I can't get rid of it!

Anonymous said...

Paint the wicker and go from there.

Related Posts with Thumbnails