Friday, October 8, 2010

stuff your stockings: embroidered baby singlet

Welcome to another Stuff Your Stockings.  We have had some amazing stocking stuffer ideas the past four weeks.  They've involved Mod Podge, jewelry, crochet hats and felt.  But I'm always looking for more great ideas to feature, so click on my stocking stuffer idea page and link up any homemade tutorials/gift ideas you have on your blog.  Also, no giveaway this Saturday, but there are still a few hours to enter to win the felt play mat featured last week on Stuff Your Stockings.  And I have a really exciting giveaway coming up on Monday from Vibrant Designs.


Hi! I'm CraftyMummy.


I'm a wife and mummy of two darlings in Queensland, Australia.
I started blogging a little over a year ago 
and quickly decided I needed a second blog for all my crafty projects.

So Mummy Crafts was born!

Now it is the blog I spend most of my time on.
I share things I've made and done with the kids,
as well as things I find around the blogosphere that I want to try
or think are worth sharing with my readers.


I'm so excited to be guest posting - my first time!
There are lots of my links listed on the Stocking Stuffer Ideas page
but I've written this tutorial especially for today!
I have made heaps of these little singlets over the years -
for my own kids and as gifts for new babies.
Recently I started to make them in threads 
to match baby quilts and wraps I had also made.

I use waste canvas. This is like Aida cloth with a very even weave that creates squares to cross stitch evenly, but when you wet it,
the adhesive dissolves and you can remove the threads leaving just the stitching.
Mine has a blue thread through it every five rows 
which makes it easy to count and distinguishes it from the other Aida in my stash.
I have also seen a product called "Soluble Canvas"
which does the same thing but is more like a sheet of plastic.
A little bit will go a long way -
I bought some many years ago and have not had to buy more yet
because I use such a small amount on each project.

You can use this method to cross stitch onto any fabric really -
a shirt pocket, the front of kids' dress, a bag or a headband -
just use your imagination!

You'll need:
Waste canvas 
Embroidery threads 
Needle
Singlet (or onesie) to decorate
A cross stitch design to stitch

The first thing to do is choose your design so you'll know how big it will be.
I've done a very simple row of 3 hearts.
There are lots of free patterns available on-line if you Google "free cross stitch charts",
or grab a piece of graph paper and draw one yourself.

Simple is better!
I have done things like stars, ducks, dinosaurs, cars, trains and letters.

Once you have your design 
you'll need a piece of your waste canvas, 
cut slightly larger than your finished stitching size.
This is simply so that you can pin it into place while you stitch.

Then you do your cross stitch.

You can find a tutorial for that here.

I have also shared my tutorial for starting stitching without a knot on my blog.

Here are my little hearts all done.
They match Miss L's baby quilt perfectly!

Now remove your pins and needle
and pop your stitching under a running tap for a second.
You just want the fabric to be damp, not saturated and dripping all over you!
Give it a gentle rub and gently tug at the threads.
They should start to come away at the edges.
Gently draw all the threads out.
I sometimes find a pair of tweezers helps to grab the ends.
If you have trouble, try a little more water to dissolve the adhesive more.

And here's the end result!

Thanks for letting me pop by, Elizabeth,
and perhaps I'll see you soon at Mummy Crafts...


Crafty Mummy has a number of great stocking stuffer ideas:




Craft on!

11 comments:

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

This is so cute! I haven't used waste canvas in years!! I love the look of the little hearts on this top. How fun. :)

Unknown said...

I have never even heard of waste canvas and now *must* find some... Thanks for the information!

CraftyMummy said...

Glad you like it, Beverly!
Hope you can find some and have a go, Lu, it really is super easy and quick.

Thanks again for having me, Elizabeth

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

wow, that's awesome and it looks so easy. I've never crossed stitch before but now I can see how easy it is.

Diana said...

What a great idea. I've never seen that before but now i have i have to try it.
I really love the love hearts design.
Thanks for sharing
Diana

CraftyMummy said...

I'd love to see pictures when you've had a go, Maria and Diana. It really is easy.

Marla said...

I always wondered how you got cross stitch to look straight on fabric. Very cute and thanks for sharing!

Creative Mind said...

its looking so smart...great idea..lovely...

Michelle said...

I LOVE that cross sticht tutorial. I used to cross stitch a lot when I was younger. What a sweet way to dress up your kids clothes!

Sonia Valdez said...

So creative, yet so simple and easy. Wonderful tutorial.

CK said...

I had no idea that is how you make those cute little designs on a shirt! Way to go! Great tutorial ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails