Friday, October 22, 2010

feed me friday: butternut squash soup

Remember how I had a plethora of squash?  (These four plus three more on the porch.)

Well, we did this with a few of them.

And you passed on some great recipes for a few others.  (Thank you so much!)

And now I'm going to pass on a recipe to you.

A non-bloggy friend (yes, I do have those) passed this one on to me, and after tweaking it a tad bit, I've turned it into a vegetarian's delight!  Don't worry though . . . even if you aren't a vegetarian, I'm pretty sure you will LOVE it!  I hope to make this for a first course to begin our Thanksgiving or Christmas feast.

Butternut Squash Soup

Here's what you need:
~1/4 cup chopped onions
~4 T. margarine or butter
~6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
~3 cups of veggie broth or vegetable stock
~1/2 tsp dried marjoram
~1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
~a pinch or two of cayenne pepper
~1 1/4 package of neufachatel cheese or light cream cheese

Here's what you do:
1) Saute onions in margarine until tender.  

2) Add squash, veggie broth, marjoram, black pepper, cayenne pepper.  Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until squash is tender.

3) Add squash mixture and neufachatel or cream cheese to blender.  (I would have loved to add these two things to my food processor . . . if I had one . . . I can always dream.)  Blend until smooth

4)  Return soup to original pan and heat until warm but do not boil.

Enjoy with a batch of homemade bread!  Yummy!

Cook on!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds yummy... but neither Mark nor I can get over the squashy taste that we usually find in squash dishes. But I've never tried squash soup... does the soupiness balance out the squashiness? Just wondering. I'd love to eat more squash because I know it's good for us, but we haven't developed a taste for it... yet. :)

Diana said...

That sounds delicious. I've never had butternut squash before, mainly because i just didn't know how to use it but now I do and i'm always willing to try new foods

Thanks for sharing
Diana

Amber Sheaves said...

Yum! Thanks for the recipe!

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

This sounds so good Elizabeth and perfect for fall! The addition of the cream cheese sounds yummy. Can't wait to try it!

Staci said...

This sounds delicious! I have a butternut squash pot pie that is to die for, and this sounds right up that alley. Here's my question: do you have an easy way to peel and cube the dang squash?

- Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl said...

We just had some Butternut Squash soup tonight, but I felt like it was missing something. Now I know what that was! Lots of yummy ingredients in your soup. Next time I'm going to use your recipe.

Thanks for sharing.
Brittany
http://www.prettyhandygirl.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails