Sunday, October 24, 2010

pretend and play restaurant set: little chef's apron


Last week we walked through making the chef's hat for the pretend and play restaurant set. 

Every little chef needs an apron too! And these aprons are made for children to be able to put them on without any assistance with an elastic neck strap and a velcro waist strap. 

The Little Chef's Apron
for personal, non-commercial use only

Here's what you need:
2 - 15 x 22 inch rectangles  (body of apron)
2 - 5 x 11 inch rectangles (long pocket on bottom half of apron)
2 - 4 1/2 x 5 inch pieces (smaller pocket on upper half of apron)
2 - 2 x 30 inch pieces of fabric (neck strap)
1 - 18 inch piece of elastic
2 - 2 x 18 inch pieces of fabric (waist strap)
1 - 2 inch strip of hook and loop (to attach to waist strap and apron body)

Here's what you do:
1)  Fold long rectangles in half length-wise leaving a 7 1/2 x 22 inch rectangles.  At the top corner where you joined the two edges, mark off a 3 x 8 inch rectangle with a disappearing ink pen.  Draw an arch in this rectangle.  Cut out the arch.  Unfold and you will have the apron shape.  (Shown in bottom picture.)


2) Put 5 x 11 inch rectangles right sides together.  Pin them right sides together. Sew around leaving 2 inch hole for turning. Turn. Top stitch one long edge of pocket (this will be the top of the pocket and will not be sewn to the body of the apron). Then pin pocket to the lower half of the top fabric piece of apron and sew around the remaining three sides - this will close up the turning hole. Add pocket dividers where desired.

3)  Put the smaller pocket pieces right sides together.  (I rounded the bottom of these pieces for a rounded pocket.) Follow the same steps for the long pocket to sew and attach pocket to upper half of apron body.

4)  Pin 2 x 30 inch pieces right sides together.  Sew down each long side leaving both short ends open.  Turn.  Top stitch down each long end of tube.  Attach safety pin to elastic strip and insert into long tube.  Make sure to pin the other end to the edge of the fabric strip when it is pulled even with the end. Bunch fabric up around elastic and sew ends.

5)  Sew one side of hook and loop to 1 of the 2 x 18 inch waist strap rectangles.  Sew the other side of the hook and loop to the body piece that does NOT have the pockets.  (Make sure you sew it around where the waist is on the child . . . about an inch under the arch.)

6)  Pin the two 2 x 18 pieces right sides together and sew around three sides (two long side and the one short side closest to the hook or loop).  Turn and top stitch around the same three sides.

7)  Pin waist strap to back body piece on the opposite side of the hook and loop.  Make sure that the hook and loop on the waist strap folds under and matches up with the hook and loop on the body of the apron.

8)  Pin neck strap in a u-shape around the top of the body of the apron.  Sandwich in between the two body pieces right sides together.  Pin.  Sew around leaving a turning hole.

9)  Turn and top stitch closing up opening in the process.

Done!



Coming up later this week . . . hot pads/oven mitts.

Craft on!

Check out the great parties I may link to by clicking on the blog name below or visiting my "I like to party" page that shows off all the party buttons.  These gals go to a lot of work to host these parties.  If you participate in parties please take time to look through a variety of the projects linked up.  They are a great source of inspiration!








































24 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

I have made tons of aprons for my kids. We used them all the time (plus I did an art party for my daughter and did aprons as the party favors)...anyway, I love that you did an elastic strap...easier to get on and off for sure! Fun.

Brenbren said...

Stopped by from Skip to my Lou. I love it. Do you show how to make the hat some where!?! great idea. Became a follower. Stop by my blog at www.therapeuticcrafting.blogspot.com

Brenbren said...

Sorry, I just found the chef hat link;)

Unknown said...

So smart to make it easy for kids to put on themselves. So smart. I would never have thought of that. Partly because the only think my kid does by himself is get into trouble. :) So, I'm glad you're smart enough for the both of us.

antgresan said...

bonne idée l'elastique dans les passants
bravo pour cette tenue de chef coloré
bisous

About Southern Belle said...

so-so cute!

http://beautifulnest.blogspot.com/

CraftyMummy said...

Love all these cooking bits and pieces, Elizabeth. And as usual your tutorials are super easy to understand.

mydolly said...

Great tutorial and great apron!

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

Wow this is so cute!! That fabric combination is just darling. Another fantastic project Elizabeth!

VickiT said...

What a cute apron. I just love how you have the fabric over the neck of the apron. Great idea. Thank you.

Ashley said...

Adorable apron! Thanks for the tutorial, I'm to try this one for my sweet girl for Christmas!

Homemade Heather said...

Oh my gosh! What a fab tutorial. Thanks for sharing ~ please stop by Dragonfly Designs and link up sometime!

Kristin (Book Sniffers Anonymous) said...

That is an adorable apron! Thanks for sharing the tutorial with us.

Lisa said...

Adorable! Love the fabrics you chose!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

My daughter always puts on an apron to help me cook. This is a great design.

Megan Gunyan said...

A chef's hat AND an apron?!? Really? So cute!
Thanks for joining my link party and stop by again for a fun necklace giveaway! Have a great week!
alittleknickknack.blogspot.com

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Hi Elizabeth - This is adorable! Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it! I'll be featuring this today - stop by and grab a feature button if you like. Hope you are enjoying your week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

These are so adorable! I just love the fabric with the fruit & cupcakes! Too cute!

I can't wait till we have your giveaway at my Christmas event! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

My Kids Make said...

adorable! I am always baking with my 2 kids and these are right up our alley! love the fabric you picked too. great colors!

taibae said...

Thanks so much! My husband and I just made one for our daughter for her birthday next week...so cute!

Faye said...

i had to comment here too, i love the apron i made for a neice ( at first i was making it for my friends daughter, then realized after i finished it would be too big for her) it came out beautifully, and is the most professional looking thing i have ever made! thanks so much!

DANA said...

That's great! I would love for you to come link this up at my Strut Your Stuff Party, and enter the giveaway as well!
http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/11/strut-your-stuff-link-party-and.html

JKMac7 said...

I LOVE this and all of your little chef tutorials!!! I plan on making all of these for my 3 yr old dd this Christmas!

I am having a problem seeing majority of your pics though. Most of them are just a black box with an exclamation point in the middle.

I am so very visual! I need pics...do you know what I can do to see them? Thanks so much!!!

karlaskreativitykorner said...

I love all these tutes. Unfortunately I can't see most of your pics...anyway you can get them working?
Thanks
Karla

Related Posts with Thumbnails