Sunday, October 31, 2010

pretend and play restaurant set: waitress/waiter apron

We are in deep with the pretend and play restaurant set.  So far we've done the chef's set - including chef's hat, apron and oven mitts/pot holders.

In our house, my girls don't just love to make my meal made-to-order they love to take my order.  So I definitely needed to include a different apron for my little waitresses.  Unlike the chef's apron this apron is not a bib-apron.  It wraps around the waist and includes pockets for an ordering pad, pen and straw/money, etc.  Like the chef's apron it is designed for the child to be able to put it on herself/himself by wrapping strap around the waist and fastening hook and loop or by just leaving hook and loop always fastened so that the child can pull up the apron like a pair of pants. 

Waitress/Waiter Apron

Here's what you need:
~fabric for the apron (see first step for measurement info)
~fabric for the divided pocket (see second step for measurement info)
~1/2 inch of the 5/8 inch width elastic for the waist strap - the same length as the top of the apron
~fabric for the waist strap - width = 2 inches; length = double the length of the elastic
-1 - 2 inch piece of hook and loop

Here's what you do:
1)  Measure child from waist to knee or mid-thigh - depending on how long you want the apron.  Add 1 inch to this measurement.  Measure from hip to hip. This measurement is the top of your apron . . . the narrowest part.  Add about two inches to the measurement for the bottom of the apron. (My apron was 12 inches on the top and 14 inches on the bottom and 11 1/2 inches from top to bottom.) Use these measurements to map out your apron on fabric.  Cut out two pieces - front and back of apron.

2)  Measure out pocket pieces according to width of apron.  (Mine was 9 x 4 inches.)  You need two of these pieces.  

3)  Pin the pocket pieces right sides together.  Sew around leaving 2 inch hole for turning.  Turn.  Top stitch one long edge of pocket (this will be the top opening.  Then pin pocket to top fabric piece of apron and sew around the remaining three side.  Add pocket dividers where desired.  

4)  Fold waist strap fabric in half length wise wrong sides together.  It will be about 1 inch wide now.  Fold under raw edges.  Iron and sew down edge to create a tube.  Insert elastic by pinning safety pin on one end making it easier to push through.  Pull the elastic and bunch the fabric up around the elastic as you go.  The elastic should be pulled through until end of the elastic without the safety pin is about two to three inches inside the tube.  Stop.  Sew this end in place and then keep pulling the safety pin end through to the other end.  Sew in place on this end.

5)  Sew one side of the hook and loop onto the non-elastic end of the strap.

6)  Sew the other side of the hook and loop about 1 inch in from the top edge of the fabric that you will be using on the inner layer.

7)  Pin strap to the opposite side so that the hook and loop pieces match up.  The hook and loop piece on the strap should fold into the hook and loop on the inside of the apron.  Here's an example of what it looks like finished.
  
8)  Sandwich strap between the two apron pieces facing right sides together.  Sew around leaving a hole for turning.  Clip corners.  Turn.  Top stitch all the way around closing turning hole up in the process.

Done!

Next up . . . personalized ordering pad.

Craft on!   


Check out the great parties I may link to by clicking on the blog name below or visiting my "I like to party" page that shows off all the party buttons.  These gals go to a lot of work to host these parties.  If you participate in parties please take time to look through a variety of the projects linked up.  They are a great source of inspiration!


Weekend - a little lovely, Craft Envy, Under the Table and DreamingBe Different Act Normal, A Vision to Remember, 504 Main - Tickled Pink, Funky Junk Interiors, Tatertots and Jello, I heart naptime


Monday - Keeping it Simple, Craft-O-Maniac, The Girl Creative, The Trendy Treehouse, CRAFT, Making the World Cuter, Mad in Crafts, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Between Naps on the Porch, Tools Are For WomenIt's So Very Cheri, Skip to My Lou, Sew Can Do, Polly Want a Crafter


Tuesday - All Thingz Related, Sugar Bee, New Nostalgia, Creative Itch, Lucky Star Lane, Hope Studios, These Creative Juices, My Delicious Ambiguity, Today's Creative Blog-Get Your Craft On!,


Wednesday - It's So Very Cheri, Beyond the Picket Fence, Blue Cricket DesignTrendy Treehouse, Tea Rose HomeSomeday Crafts, My Backyard Eden, Sew Much Ado, Night Owl Crafting


Thursday -  Fireflies and Jellybeans, Life As Lori, House of Hepworths, Somewhat Simple, Seven Thirty Three, The Train to Crazy, PonyTails and FishScales


Friday - The Sabby Nest, A Little Knick Knack, Fingerprints on the Fridge, It's Fun to Craft!, It's a Hodgepodge Life, Kojo Designs, Simply Sweet Home, Frou Frou Decor, Remodelaholic, Momma's Kinda Crafty

21 comments:

katie [the bright life] said...

These are adorable!!! I've been checking all the parts of the play set, and I looooove them! So cute!

Nike@ChooseToThrive said...

I . love . this! Your sweet little apron would be perfect for my DD for Christmas ... and I think I have enough left over fabric to pull it off--yeah! Thanks for posting!

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

I love that your making these so they can put them on themselves! The elastic is such a great idea! And can I ask - where did you find the fabric? I'm really liking it. :)

Birgit Kerr said...

So sweet! My little girl would love one of those! Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

Where did you find this fabric?!

Unknown said...

this is SO cute! come on over and link up to MMM :)

Just Jana said...

My niece would love this!!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

I love this. And I really love the fabric that you used. The whole set is too cute!

Lei said...

So so fun! Love the spot for the notebook and pen. :)

Tara said...

Your kids are going to have the best Christmas. I love this apron. Too Cute!

Marcie @ DWYH said...

What an awesome idea!!! This would be great for my little girl!

anne maskell said...

My nieces would love the whole set! Guess I better get sewing for Christmas.....

Bella @ Bella before and after said...

ELizabeth, this is super. Of course my little princess would love this, and for that matter so would I, and even her brothers, lol. How cute. Yeah by reading your blog description, I was thinking I would see like 10 projects so far, lol, yeah like 250 later, I'd say you did a tad bit more than you had expected. Or was that the plan all along, lol. I think I am totally loving your blog, and am thrilled I stumbled accross it. I know you are busy, and you already have tons of parties you participate in, BUT, if you even get a chance to read this, I would LOVE if you came over to my place to share some of your awesome projects.**AMAZE ME AUGUST** starts every Tuesday and only ends when the next one starts. Just close your eyes and pick a few, they are all awesome, and if you could keep me in mind, ohhh yeah, you would so make me happy. Just a little new blogger, whos loving on you. Thanks a TON, Bella :)

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

I have loved and enjoyed all of these fantastic and fun ideas--there are going to be some lucky little boys and girls out there :).

Unknown said...

I love this idea. The fabric you chose is such fun!

Jenny Hall / Seamingly Smitten said...

What a great tutorial and fun idea! My little girl might need one of those! Please add this to my linky party (and GIVEAWAY!)
www.seaminglysmitten.blogspot.com
Jenny

Dianna@DecorMadeSimple said...

Adorable idea, our girls love playing restaurant.

kate said...

so cute!

Michelle {Daydream Believers} said...

So cute! A little waitress apron is on my list of gifts to make for my little girl this year too! Yours looks GREAT! :)

Unknown said...

Super cute set! Love the fabric you chose :)

Sam karan said...

Thanks for publishing this amazing and informative blog about aprons. Read more about custom aprons here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails