Wednesday, October 27, 2010

pretend and play restaurant set: oven mitts and pot holders

**Two days left to enter to win the rock and roll earrings.  Click here to find out how to enter.**

Pot holders and oven mitts don't really need a tutorial . . . and yet, I'm doing one anyway.  It's a disease! 

The pretend and play restaurant set is well underway! 

We've seen:



Now we have coordinating oven mitts and pot holders.

Here's what you need:
-fleece
-coordinating fabric

Here's what you do for the oven mitt:
1)  Trace child's hand and use the traced hand to make sure the oven mitt will be larger than the hand.  Or trace around a child's mitten adding a few inches all the way around perimeter for the oven mitt pattern.  Leave an extra 1/2 inch on the bottom of the non-fleece mitt shape.  Cut out two mitt shapes for each oven mitt. 

2)  Cut the bottom of the fleece mitt shape with pinking shears.

3)  Pin the two mitt shapes right sides together just at one side.  

4)  Double fold the end of the non-fleece mitt shape and pin.  With a zigzag stitch sew a hem down the bottom of the mitts pinned together.

5)  Pin the mitt shapes right sides together all the way around.  Sew.  Clip rounded corners and turn.

Oven mitts done! 

The pot holders are pretty self-explanatory . . . so let me explain them ;).  Cut out two squares.  Pin them right sides together.  Sew around leaving a turning hole.  Clip corners.  Turn.  Top stitch around edge closing up turning hole in the process. 


Craft on!


Check out the great parties I may link to by clicking on the blog name below or visiting my "I like to party" page that shows off all the party buttons.  These gals go to a lot of work to host these parties.  If you particpate in parties please take time to look through a variety of the projects linked up.  They are a great source of inspiration!


Weekend - a little lovely, Craft Envy, Under the Table and DreamingBe Different Act Normal, A Vision to Remember, 504 Main - Tickled Pink, Funky Junk Interiors, Tatertots and Jello, I heart naptime


Monday - Keeping it Simple, Craft-O-Maniac, The Girl Creative, The Trendy Treehouse, CRAFT, Making the World Cuter, Mad in Crafts, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Between Naps on the Porch, Tools Are For WomenIt's So Very Cheri, Skip to My Lou, Sew Can Do, Polly Want a Crafter


Tuesday - All Thingz Related, Sugar Bee, New Nostalgia, Creative Itch, Lucky Star Lane, Hope Studios, These Creative Juices, My Delicious Ambiguity, Today's Creative Blog-Get Your Craft On!,


Wednesday - It's So Very Cheri, Beyond the Picket Fence, Blue Cricket DesignTrendy Treehouse, Tea Rose HomeSomeday Crafts, My Backyard Eden, Sew Much Ado, Night Owl Crafting


Thursday -  Fireflies and Jellybeans, Life As Lori, House of Hepworths, Somewhat Simple, Seven Thirty Three, The Train to Crazy, PonyTails and FishScales


Friday - The Sabby Nest, A Little Knick Knack, Fingerprints on the Fridge, It's Fun to Craft!, It's a Hodgepodge Life, Kojo Designs, Simply Sweet Home, Frou Frou Decor, Remodelaholic, Momma's Kinda Crafty

14 comments:

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

Perfect!! This is so great. I love that make all the little things to finish off the sets! Those little oven mits are stinkin adorable. :)

Unknown said...

I think I'm gonna have to make this set for my cousin's little girlie girl!! It's so cute!

Michelle said...

Very sweet! They'll have so much fun with these!

Unknown said...

So awesome! And... you can never have too many tutorials. In my opinion, at least.

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

What a cute set! I love the fabric!!

Jennifer Juniper said...

That little play set would make a darling gift :) Love it!

Anonymous said...

adorable!

Prairie Scraps said...

I love these! I'm tempted to make them, except I have my heart set on felt food for my daughter this year for Christmas! I would love to have you link up to my Christmas gifts party at: http://spartasavings.blogspot.com/2010/11/saving-christmas-week-2.html

Envymycooking said...

So cute i love this. if you ever would like to be featured or would like to share a recipe or a find (re-do furniture) please come become a follower and email us...Great site

Janet said...

Your oven mitts and hot pads are very cute! The fabric you chose is so fun!

Alexis said...

So cute!

Christina said...

What a great gift idea. My daughter's and niece would love this! Thanks for sharing!

Faye said...

i just made mine today. thanks so much for the tutorial. i know i could have made one on the fly but your directions, and pictures helped tremendously! it looks so professional and perfect (besides the fact i was too lazy to change my thread).

if you are interested i could send a picture. thanks again

elizabeth @ twelvecrafts said...

Faye, I would love to see pics!! I'm so glad the tutorials worked for you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails