Sunday, October 3, 2010

pieced fleece scarf: under 30 minute tutorial

I've told you that I have a gigantic remnant addiction

This addiction has led to quite a pile of fleece in a variety of colors and patterns.  And fleece is perfect for soft, warm, cozy scarves.  

We are thankful to have cousins and friends who pass on their clothes, shoes and coats to my girls.  This is a huge blessing!  At the same time, I do like to be able to give my girls a few little clothing items or accessories that are new . . . not just new to them.  So rather than simply cutting a long strip of fleece and calling that a scarf, I decided to add a little more personality to this fleece scarf for my youngest.  The best part is that it takes under 30 minutes.  (Probably under 20 minutes if you aren't watching The Office at the same time.)  I can already picture her wearing this around the house on Christmas morning after "opening" her stocking.

This the second of my three scarf projects.  (For the button scarf tutorial click here.)   

Here's what you need:
-fleece in a variety of patterns and colors  


Here's what you do:
1) Cut strips of fleece 4 1/2 inches by 4 inches with pinking shears.  The number of strips you will used depends on the size of scarf you are making.  Cut two strips for each end of the scarf measuring 4 1/2 inches by 6 1/2 inches.  This two ends will be cut to make frayed ends at the end.

2)  Pin strips together.  I chose to spotlight the flower fleece by layering it on top of the light blue and red.  Sew together.  I started using a straight stitch, but it looked to plain.  So I searched for my seam ripper, (Just kidding . . . my seam ripper is right next to my sewing machine because I spend a lot of time ripping out stitches.) and ripped out the straight stitches and used a zig zag stitch instead. 

3)  Cut the ends of the scarf into five strips.

4)  Thirty minute scarf is done! 

Craft on!

Check out some of the great parties I may link to by clicking on the blog name below or visiting my "I like to party" page that shows off all the party buttons.

Weekend - a little lovely, Craft Envy, Under the Table and DreamingBe Different Act Normal, A Vision to Remember, 504 Main - Tickled Pink, Funky Junk Interiors, Tatertots and Jello, I heart naptime

Monday - Keeping it Simple, Craft-O-Maniac, The Girl Creative, The Trendy Treehouse, CRAFT, Making the World Cuter, Mad in Crafts, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Between Naps on the Porch, Tools Are For WomenIt's So Very Cheri, Skip to My Lou, Sew Can Do, Polly Want a Crafter

Tuesday - All Thingz Related, Sugar Bee, New Nostalgia, Creative Itch, Lucky Star Lane, Hope Studios, These Creative Juices, My Delicious Ambiguity, Today's Creative Blog-Get Your Craft On!, Tasty Tuesdays at Housewife Eclectic

Wednesday - It's So Very Cheri, Beyond the Picket Fence, Blue Cricket DesignTrendy Treehouse, Tea Rose HomeSomeday Crafts, My Backyard Eden, Sew Much Ado, Night Owl Crafting

Thursday -  Fireflies and Jellybeans, Life As Lori, House of Hepworths, Somewhat Simple, Seven Thirty Three, The Train to Crazy, PonyTails and FishScales, Black Kat's Design

Friday - The Sabby Nest, A Little Knick Knack, Fingerprints on the Fridge, It's Fun to Craft!, It's a Hodgepodge Life, Kojo Designs, Amy Lou Who, A Few of My Favorite Things, Simply Sweet Home, Frou Frou Decor, Remodelaholic, Foodie Friday at The Speckled Dog

22 comments:

Papgena Made It said...

I'm a little inveous of your collection of fabric! :)
Love the scarfs idea (especially the buttons one), here is becoming colder everyday...I love it!!! :)

Jill said...

Great scarf project! I've got lots of fleece scraps too - but scarves aren't really very useful up here in the tropics, although my girls would still wear them I'm sure (they love winter clothes - probably because they never get to wear them!)
Anyway, you've inspired me to go and buy myself a pair of pinking shears and then I'll figure out a project from there!

Dawn said...

how cute-my little ones will love this!

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

Hey hey - we're party girls!! :)
I love this scarf. That floral fleece is adorable! The fleece looks so cozy and comfy. She's going to love it!! :)

Vanessa at Rescued Goods said...

Great scarf! I can't wait to try it-under 30 minutes has my name written all over it! Thank you!

Unknown said...

I love your remnant stash! I purposely buy extra fabric yardage to increase my stash. Shhh, don't tell. :)

Susan-Chasing Marcus said...

What a fabulous remnant stash! I used to do the same thing, now thankfully I am a bit more reigned in. Only so much fabric I can have!

Question though? This scarf is a single layer right? Do you think by doubling the layers it would hold up a bit better or just be a pain to sew through? My daughter is 2 and not always exactly gentle with her clothing. Even though our scarf days are very few and far between here in CA I would love for it to hold up to her wear and tear.

Susan

Emily said...

Super cute Elizabeth and a great way to use up some scraps!!

Megan Gunyan said...

Look at all that fun color! I love it! Way to use some scraps and make something truly cute and enjoyable!
I'd love for you to check out my giveaway going on now! http://alittleknickknack.blogspot.com/2010/10/felt-headband-giveaway.html
Have a great day!

Unknown said...

Cute! I am alway looking for fun scrap ideas.
http://www.couturiermommy.com/

Unknown said...

Hi just calling by from your latest follower Via Tuesday Blog hops. Love meeting new bloggers. Great Tutorial. Love crafty things. Hope you are having a wonderful week so far. Be sure to check my blog out www.jamarahcraftycreations.blogspot.com
Sarah

Holly Lefevre said...

I love remnants! I just love fabric! This is such a fun idea and the colors are so happy!

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Cute and colorful idea!

Jennifer Juniper said...

What a cozy way to use up leftover fabrics!

Rebekah Greiman said...

Thanks so much for mentioning my scarf! I really appreciate it & I LOVE YOURS!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Really creative. Love the colors!

Southern Fried Gal said...

Super cute idea! Your fabric choices are adorable.

Unknown said...

CUTE!!! Thanks for linking up with Anything Related! ~Bridgette

Its So Very Cheri said...

Awesome and I love the fabric.

You should enter that in thediyclub.com "Weekly Showcase" party. We have a fun give-a-way each week.

We are looking for crafty talented people to showcase in our eZine-if you are interested let us know.

Check out our monthly contest as well, we have a $1500 give-a-way--one week left. Check out the guidelines and enter qualifying projects.

Cheri from ItsSoVeryCheri

Beth said...

Very cute, and I love the Office!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Cute! I love all the bright colors you used! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites last week!

Hope you'll stop by again this week. I'm celebrating my blogiversary with a giveaway for a Presto Cool Touch Griddle!

Holly Lefevre said...

This is so darn cute. I knitted scarves one year for everyone...but this is more up my alley..I can sew much quicker! CUTE I am tickled pink!

Related Posts with Thumbnails