Thursday, October 21, 2010
Here's what you need:
~a variety of fabric scraps
~very long piece of embroidery thread
~safety pin or small clip
Here's what you do:
1) Trace and cut a variety of circle sizes from scraps with pinking shears. Each circle should be smaller than the one before it. Five circles makes a super flirty full flower, but I ended up using four in this example. Cut out a smaller circle in the center of each circle.
2) Use needle and embroidery thread and sew a long running stitch around the smaller center circle of each fabric circle that you will be using.
3) Flip the circle over so you are looking at the underside. Pull thread to gather circle tight. Tie knot and push needle up threw center of gathered circle.
4) Use same needle and thread to make another long running stitch on the next smaller circle. Pull tight on the underside of the circle. Tie knot. Push need and thread threw center. Follow this same process with each circle for as many layers as you want.
5) On the last layer, push your needle and thread threw so that it is coming at the top center of the stacked flower. Slide button onto needle. Push button down so that it is flush again the stacked fabric circles. Sew button on.
6) Turn flower over so that you are looking at the underside of the flower. Cut two small rectangles of felt with pinking shears. Use felt/fabric glue to attach one rectangle to underside center of flower. Place pin or clip on top of this rectangle and glue second rectangle on top. Then add an embroidery stitch around the edge of the rectangle. (I ended up having no good pics of the original flower I started with for this step, so please excuse the random pic of a different flower.)
Done! You can see more examples of colors and styles in my super lame Etsy shop! ;)
Check out the great parties I may link to by clicking on the blog name below or visiting my "I like to party" page that shows off all the party buttons. These gals go to a lot of work to host these parties. If you participate in parties please take time to look through a variety of the projects linked up. They are a great source of inspiration!
Weekend - a little lovely, Craft Envy, Under the Table and Dreaming, Be Different Act Normal, A Vision to Remember, 504 Main - Tickled Pink, Funky Junk Interiors, Tatertots and Jello, I heart naptime
Monday - Keeping it Simple, Craft-O-Maniac, The Girl Creative, The Trendy Treehouse, CRAFT, Making the World Cuter, Mad in Crafts, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Between Naps on the Porch, Tools Are For Women, It's So Very Cheri, Skip to My Lou, Sew Can Do, Polly Want a Crafter
Tuesday - All Thingz Related, Sugar Bee, New Nostalgia, Creative Itch, Lucky Star Lane, Hope Studios, These Creative Juices, My Delicious Ambiguity, Today's Creative Blog-Get Your Craft On!,
Wednesday - It's So Very Cheri, Beyond the Picket Fence, Blue Cricket Design, Trendy Treehouse, Tea Rose Home, Someday Crafts, My Backyard Eden, Sew Much Ado, Night Owl Crafting
Thursday - Fireflies and Jellybeans, Life As Lori, House of Hepworths, Somewhat Simple, Seven Thirty Three, The Train to Crazy, PonyTails and FishScales
Friday - The Sabby Nest, A Little Knick Knack, Fingerprints on the Fridge, It's Fun to Craft!, It's a Hodgepodge Life, Kojo Designs, Simply Sweet Home, Frou Frou Decor, Remodelaholic, Mommas Kinda Crafty